Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This piece is based on themes related to Scandinavian folklore which usually are slow and sentimental. The form is variations of two themes basically contrasting each other.

It is rather simply arranged but is thought to be a second or third movement of a larger work where the music comes to rest contrasting more complex movements.

https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/oceans-of-time-2

Greetings,

Kjell

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From what I was able to hear I liked this very much--

however the strings for me were way too low and unclear..and I really couldnt tell when they were all playing.

At :58 it seems like  the strings dropout for a second and the break at about 3:23 was too long in my opinion. I also would have liked to just hear the strings with the piano resting or doing very minimal stuff at least once in the piece.

Again all of this may just be me, and Im listening thru headphones. And again there was much to like, but really needs a clearer mix--l/r and front back panning to start with to really actually hear whats going on.

Theres more I believe, but it would really help to be able to hear the strings better, to more accurately comment.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Thanks Bob for listening and for your reply.

I am a bit confused since I cannot really here that mixing problem you mention. It would be valuable if someone else could listen before I focus on the problem. 

As for the two examples you give, it is just part of the music.

Greetings,

Kjell

Nice piece. Very calming. At 58s, I do find the strings suddenly drop out - it seems like a few notes didnt play there for a bar or so? Rest of the mix sounded good to me.

Thx!

Vn

Thank you Vn. It is interesting that both you and Bob react on the event at 0:58. I put a quarter break there since I wanted a delayed playing with the intention to create sort of enlarged expressiveness by letting the violin hesitate a bit.

Maybe I need to rethink (and also experiment with panning as Bob suggests)

Greetings,

Kjell

Vn said:

Nice piece. Very calming. At 58s, I do find the strings suddenly drop out - it seems like a few notes didnt play there for a bar or so? Rest of the mix sounded good to me.

Thx!

Vn

Superb. Basically, a modern Baroque. So evocative. 

Really a professional work, on every aspect (technique, sound quality, ecc.)

Thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you Gabriele for your kind and warm words, truly appreciated. And your beautiful piano concert is still on my mind,

Greetings,

Kjell

Gabriele said:

Superb. Basically, a modern Baroque. So evocative. 

Really a professional work, on every aspect (technique, sound quality, ecc.)

Thank you so much for sharing!

Brilliant per usual, Kjell. I greatly enjoyed this. I agree with the others about the 58s mark.

Thank you Coston for your warm words. It is greatly appreciated.

Em Coston said:

Brilliant per usual, Kjell. I greatly enjoyed this. I agree with the others about the 58s mark.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service