Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Here's a recent short piano piece I've written that I wanted to share. Any comments/feedback are welcome!

Views: 199

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a very pretty piece, very impressionistic and I always like this style.  I would use less pedal in the early measures especially (my opinion only), I usually prefer clarity when something sounds good. You might also consider some more variation in the left hand patterns to add some contrast, or maybe allow them to be featured for a bit.

Thanks for the kind feedback! As for your comments on pedal and audio, this is a Sibelius MIDI export so can't really ask for too much there. 

As for allowing the left hand to be changed, I may do that if I expand the piece in length.

Ingo Lee said:

This is a very pretty piece, very impressionistic and I always like this style.  I would use less pedal in the early measures especially (my opinion only), I usually prefer clarity when something sounds good. You might also consider some more variation in the left hand patterns to add some contrast, or maybe allow them to be featured for a bit.

I've just started a trial of Sibelius after years with other lesser known programs, I know they are pushing 'music xml' which is supposed to be better than midi. I know that certain elements can be midi controlled and linked to notations on the score and I have heard some recordings done directly from the Sibelius audio library which I thought were very good.  And of course any recording can be modified in a DAW to improve sound quality.

So I can't give you any specific advice on what to do with Sibelius but I would encourage you to experiment with it and with other programs as well. We are lucky to have all this available at reasonable prices and I am hearing good results from others working with these same tools.

True, it is possible to for example add individual "hidden" dynamic levels to every note or add in every possible hairpin but that is time that could be spent composing instead, especially since I plan on having this performed live at some point.

MusicXML and MIDI are for different purposes though, with MusicXML representing only notation and MIDI only the playback.

Ingo Lee said:

I've just started a trial of Sibelius after years with other lesser known programs, I know they are pushing 'music xml' which is supposed to be better than midi. I know that certain elements can be midi controlled and linked to notations on the score and I have heard some recordings done directly from the Sibelius audio library which I thought were very good.  And of course any recording can be modified in a DAW to improve sound quality.

So I can't give you any specific advice on what to do with Sibelius but I would encourage you to experiment with it and with other programs as well. We are lucky to have all this available at reasonable prices and I am hearing good results from others working with these same tools.

If you are interested ( I don't have time either) from what I gather here, MusicXML can generate or control a midi file as well as control the notation graphics. I don't pretend to understand this, so if you do perhaps you can clarify it.

http://www.musicxml.com/tutorial/the-midi-compatible-part/

Live performance is the gold standard of course, but it is hard to get quality performers and you still have the issue of getting a quality recording.  Technology marches on at an ever faster rate, what can't be done today (quality wise) will happen soon enough, but only for those with the skills to access it. I try and keep up, but it's not easy.

I think a composer would be wise to have good recordings in his portfolio by whatever means are available to him.

I like this very, very much.  Short and sweet, and lovely to listen to. Don't really have much in the way of technical comments, as I didn't really find much to nitpick on. Meaning that you did an excellent job IMO. :-)

Have you thought about hiring a professional pianist to record this piece for you?

Just after uploading my own Chopinesque piece I find this. Very nice indeed! However the ending could perhaps be developed more (if I am to ask for something, since the return of the theme is so short. If you feel that that isn't necessary or something you want to do you could also play the two first pages two times before finishing off with the short return of the theme. But the writing is very nice and makes up a beautiful piece.

Good job...

Prelude-like, nice harmonies, nice modulation!... If I had to make a suggestion I could only say why not experiment with th LH. acompaniament a little more? especially if you xrite something longer or develop this one more

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service