Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I recently finished a Flute solo with piano accompaniment using a "fifths style." The harmonic language focuses around open fifths and fourths. I also used the circle of fifths almost like a tone row. Its still in the editing phase so comments would be great to help in that process. 

Views: 316

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Although this isn't really my genre, I gave it a listen.

I thought the opening was quite striking and effective.

Maybe the piano solo bit at bar 17 could have had more phrase or accent marks to convey intentions - like if it is 3+ 2 or just 5.

Some nice rhythms from then on - 9/8 is not used all that often.

It all wound down to an ending that sounded complete.

Sorry I can't say anything more constructive as it's not my usual style, but I least I gave it a listen.

I wonder what Patency means.

I liked it, I went through a "phase" like this many years ago, although not as well worked out.  Just a couple things about the score:  I am not a piano player, so this is just my imagination running away with me, but the long strings of "double power chords" in the left hand at the end seem a bit sadistic, big finger stretch for a long time, lots of ice afterwards.  But like I said, maybe that's perfectly fine.  I would add a couple more character markings besides the stately of the beginning, and maybe some breath marks for the flute in the long passages where you may not like the choice the performer makes on where to breathe.  Courtesy accidentals in a piece like this must be diligently checked, and you seem to have done so!  the only spot where I question the chord spelling is measure 92, it seems like the flats should be sharps on the second chord to fit better with the B-F# fifth in the left hand, also right hand would be easier to read B-E to G#-C# than to Ab-Db.  But anyways, score looks nice, well shaped, I especially like the guitaresque, heavy metalish section with the slap tongue, I could mosh out to that.

Patency means the condition of being open.

Adrian Allan said:

Although this isn't really my genre, I gave it a listen.

I thought the opening was quite striking and effective.

Maybe the piano solo bit at bar 17 could have had more phrase or accent marks to convey intentions - like if it is 3+ 2 or just 5.

Some nice rhythms from then on - 9/8 is not used all that often.

It all wound down to an ending that sounded complete.

Sorry I can't say anything more constructive as it's not my usual style, but I least I gave it a listen.

I wonder what Patency means.

Very nice.  I told you so in chat but will say so here. The material is pleasant to hear but also charming to see how it is developed.  Nice material well developed (which is usually where things fall down.)  I think this is a work you can be satisfied with.

Tyler, I'm not going to say too much about the actual composition because 1) you already know what you are doing  and 2)this is not a work in progress so discussions on a finished pieces (in my opinion) are do you like or not!  Since I do like the piece, I'm going to give you just typesetting advice.

1) Adagio is always capitalized as a metronome marking

2) Measure 34, F# should be Gb

3) Starting a piece of as "mf" is to a good idea.  Check Beethoven scores. It always F, FF , or P..never mp or mf.  MF is subjective to the Forte, so give us something more exact

4) Subtitle should be smaller than the Title, change the size to look more polished.

5) Measure 2, a grace note might be cleaner.

6) Copyright symbol traditionally is after the word.

7) Measure 18, Allegro isn't good enough, give us an exact tempo marking or AT LEAST a pin-pointed range.

8) Measure 27, notate which is the pulse, is the eighth note constant?

9) Put the subito above the "P" , never break the measure.

10) slap tongues may be more audible a fifth or octave higher

11) Measure 79, renotate

12) Measure 99, I would since the flutes are in flats, maybe the piano part? just a thought

13) Measure 100, don't be lazy, add the Bass Clef in and switch back! (I know, I have to catch myself on that one!)

14) 111 measures of wonderful music and no rehearsal markings??  no no no!!! DID I say no?

and 

15) Put contact info on your copyright stuff, whether it's email or business number!  Don't assume they'll FB you.  That is where people know to contact the publisher.  Since you are self-publishing, gives us that info!

Much Love to the man with the greatest last name!

Chad "Sir Wick" Hughes

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service