Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is part two of my research discussion. If you haven't seen the first part of this discussion you should go here: http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/dying-symphony-orchestr...

For the part two of my research I would like to hear from you on specifically your experience in attending concerts. I want to know how you feel when you go to the symphony.

1. How often do you attend the symphony or any classical music events?
    1. If not, why not?
  2. Do you buy tickets there or buy season tickets if available?
    1. Do you buy discounted tickets, student rush tickets, or get tickets for free from friends or family typically?
  3. How do you dress to go to said concert, why?
    1. If you answered no to the first question: how do you feel you would need to dress to the symphony?
  4. Do you park your own car or use the velvet if available?
  5. Do you buy drinks or food while at the symphony? If so what and if not why?
    1. Are food and drink even provided like cash bar or reception? Are preconcert dinners provided and do you go to them?
  6. Do you feel that you need to maintain a certain level of concert etiquette during the concert? AKA no clapping between movements, no talking, sounding educated about the music, etc...
  7. What attitude do you feel the people around you have? Are the friendly, smug, indifferent, etc...
  8. Anything else you want to add?

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. I go to the Symphony only rarely, perhaps every few years or so. I usually only go to hear a specific piece I like.

2. Buy tickets as needed, usually online.

3. normal office-type clothes.

4. park own car, walk several blocks.

5. no food or drinks.

6. I maintain silence during music, clap only at end of work (usually am the first as most are unsure when piece has ended). I do discuss the music before concert begins or between works.

7. People seem friendly, however most seem to view it more as a social event than an artistic experience.

8. Attend Portland Symphony in Portland, Me. A very good orchestra.

I have not been to see an Orchestra in at least 20 years

Why is that?

Gav Brown said:

My taste has shifted - If I'm at a live performance, it's going to be a musical, or more rarely, a play.

Tyler Hughes said:

Why is that?

Gav Brown said:

1. All the time, going tomorrow with the wife for example, because that's what you do if you want to be a serious composer. You write, perform, and you go to concerts.

2. I cannot remember the last time I bought tickets. Normally, either the musicians or conductors pay my way so I can give them my critique later.

3. Business casual unless one of my pieces are being performed then I try to look classy.

4. I park my car.

5. No.

6. Yes except for the sounding educational part.

7. Friendly or I make fun of them.

8. I go and talk to the performers after the concerts.

I noticed many of y'all said you didn't buy food or drinks at the symphony. Why not? 

Are food and drink even provided such as a cash bar or reception? Are preconcert dinners provided and do you go to them?

1. My situation is different, in that I record a lot of concerts (orchestras to small ensembles). So I'm working when I'm there, but I get to hear it all, and take it home afterwards. I also go to concerts to network for future gigs. About 20 events over 12 months. That said, I could not afford tickets for the city symphony concerts - too far (2-3 hours away) and too expensive.

2. I normally buy tickets online: pensioner discount.

3. Casual/working dress, a bit more spiffy for a city event.

4. Car for working and local events, train for city concerts (no parking, or else parking station costs more than the ticket).

5. 95% of venues provide food and drink, in the majority for free.

6. Because I'm recording, I'm on the hunt for coughers and chair squeakers. If I'm in the audience, I'm very intolerant of any noises. A colleague said his local conductor, just before beginning, would press a button which activated a recording of several mobile phones going off: immediately there was a mass dive for bags and pockets, while the conductor announced: "What a timely reminder that was!"

7. Most people are very enthusiastic, and always grateful to touring groups who come to our district. Most concerts are well attended as a result - we realise how precious it is.

8. I have the best job in the world.

Yep.

Bob Porter said:

But, Rodney, would you go as often if you had to pay your own way?

Im not suggesting anything, just asking why many of y'all don't partake in the food or wine that is provided at most symphony concerts either before, at intermission, or after during the reception.

Kristofer Emerig said:

Tyler, are you suggesting we should entice bovine types to fine art concerts with food and drink? To hell with them; If they are not purists, attending with a genuine passion for the repertoire, let them rather gnaw old gum from under the seats.

In fact, in an effort to weed out the undevoted riff raff, we should endeavor to make the concert going experience as uncomfortable as possible, with austere wooden pews and no climate control. Those caught yawning through tedious slow movements would be unceremoniously and abusively ejected.

Tyler Hughes said:

I noticed many of y'all said you didn't buy food or drinks at the symphony. Why not? 

Are food and drink even provided such as a cash bar or reception? Are preconcert dinners provided and do you go to them?

I'm a vegan. if they had hummus and a bagel, I might go for it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service