Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Good Evening,
Mother Earth is my life project. I started orchestrating this a few years ago, it was actually one of my first digital works.
Although the basic structure is still intact it is now updated with new articulations and new rendering. It is not even close to Spitfire, more like an improved Garritan.
The piece is narrative, depicting life on earth, starting with the creation. For this reason there is also a movie, a primitive one made from freeware, just to illustrate the main ideas.
It is not meant to be a finished project, although it could be thought so considering the ending. If you choose to watch the movie, you are welcome to propose a continuation of the story.
When composing there has been an interplay between music and the scientific events as they happened according to Darwin. As my profession is connected to natural sciences this project has been a nice connection between that and my music. There has been a mutual inspiration.

Link to music: https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/mother-earth-orchestral-poem

Link to movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyr7dIAa5eY

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The trouble is that there isn't a god Saul. Anything taken from the asumption that there is of course will be quesitonable! Ordained information my word! If it is ordained wht is it not exact?

In any case I have noticed any criticism of your scriptural arguments are met with variations on "'you do not understand the scripture"' which is very convenient I must say. The troubnle is that you cannot both appeal to the metaphorical nature of the scripture yet also claiim it as concrete when it suits you. As far as I can tell that number of stars as calculated is wholly incorrect. Something like 10 million times fewer than are currently calculated and that number grows with our abiliity to search. 10 million times is a large error margin. I wonder why god ordained this information to be so wooly. We may never know.

Saul Gefen said:

Hi,

I'm not discussing about interpretation but ordained or given information which is divine that was given to humans. 

In the Babylonian Talmud Tractate Brachot, page 32b, the Talmud records a tradition, in the name of Rabbi Shimon ben Lakish, that there are roughly 10 to the power of 18 stars in the universe. This number is remarkably big and much closer to the current scientific consensus of 10 to the power of 22 than common sense would allow.

Now, although it is interesting for an ancient people to have such a large estimate, this single coincidence could perhaps be explained as an extremely lucky guess. Never mind that no other ancient people had an estimate anywhere near this order of magnitude, nor did they have a conventional way to write such a number. There is no record of a single other ancient culture with remotely similar numbers.

But the Talmud relates more than just a raw number. The Talmud explains that the distribution of stars throughout the cosmos is neither even nor random. Instead, it states that they are clustered in groups of billions of stars ,what we call galaxies, which themselves are clustered into groups, what astronomers call galactic clusters, which in turn are in mega-groups, what we call superclusters.

To describe the stars as clustered together, both locally and in clusters of clusters, was well far beyond the imagination and the telescopes of scientists until Edwin Hubble's famous photographs of Andromeda in the 1920s. 

These Galactic clusters and superclusters have been described only in the past decade or so. Moreover, the Talmud states categorically that the number of galaxies in a cluster is about 30. And wouldn't you know it, astronomers today set the number of galaxies in our own local cluster at 30. 

This doesn’t end here, the Talmud adds that the superclusters consist of about 30 clusters each, and that superclusters are themselves grouped into a bigger pattern of about 30 megasuperclusters of which the universe has a total of about 360. Thus, the Talmud appears consistent with one major theory that the overall structure of the universe is shaped by the rules of fractal mathematics.

Could it be that Rabbi Shimon ben Lakish made an extremely lucky guess? That might be plausible if he had used a number that had symbolic significance in Judaism, such as seven, 10, 18 or 40. What is the significance of the number 30? There is no specific spiritual or religious reason for choosing that number. It therefore seems to be exactly what it claims to be: a conscientious oral transmission of a received tradition, rather than simply one person's guess.

Charles Holt said:

The trouble is that there isn't a god Saul. Anything taken from the asumption that there is of course will be quesitonable! Ordained information my word! If it is ordained wht is it not exact?

In any case I have noticed any criticism of your scriptural arguments are met with variations on "'you do not understand the scripture"' which is very convenient I must say. The troubnle is that you cannot both appeal to the metaphorical nature of the scripture yet also claiim it as concrete when it suits you. As far as I can tell that number of stars as calculated is wholly incorrect. Something like 10 million times fewer than are currently calculated and that number grows with our abiliity to search. 10 million times is a large error margin. I wonder why god ordained this information to be so wooly. We may never know.

Saul Gefen said:

Hi,

I'm not discussing about interpretation but ordained or given information which is divine that was given to humans. 

Congratulations Kjell for this work.

It is a very well worked music. You get a very smooth melodic lines and also very consonant harmonies. Digital interpretation also has very good quality. The result is a very pleasant product to listen to.

An example of order and correction !!  (a Spanish phrase that I do not know if it is well translated)

Thank you very much Ramon for your kind words. I appreciate them much.

A powerful piece, the emotions: turmoil, drive, determination.

Good tunes, well developed.

Just a personal thing - could be the conditions I'm listening under - the reverb seemed a bit too much, blurred the harmony.  

Enjoyable. Accomplished.

Cheers, Dane.

Hi Kjell,

it is very, very good, well-crafted music, the only thing is - given the current, disastrous state of our mother earth, this is just too bucolic for me. I miss a kind of hint to the fact that the earth is in ever imminent danger by its inhabitants, who don't care. But maybe that's just me. Thank you for sharing this piece!

Jan

Thank you Dane, truly inspiring to get your comment. Turmoil, yes, it is part of the story.

Dane Aubrun said:

A powerful piece, the emotions: turmoil, drive, determination.

Good tunes, well developed.

Just a personal thing - could be the conditions I'm listening under - the reverb seemed a bit too much, blurred the harmony.  

Enjoyable. Accomplished.

Cheers, Dane.

Hi Jan,

that is a very nice aspect which is not at all included in this piece. The movie contains mostly the beauty part of our Earth, which I think dominates heavily. I sit here watching my apple tree all day long. How it develops together with birds and the just lovely bees and humbles. It reveals the wholeness, sort of a purpose. And I take photos everyday to reconstruct how it develops. Now the flowers have fallen but it is far from over yet. Fruits are going to develop and the larger animals then take over the mission to spread the seeds and that is where we enter in the wholeness. Thank God that we are a part of it. Isn't that lovely?

Thank you Jan for your inspiring reflection.

/Kjell

Jan-Frederik Carl said:

Hi Kjell,

it is very, very good, well-crafted music, the only thing is - given the current, disastrous state of our mother earth, this is just too bucolic for me. I miss a kind of hint to the fact that the earth is in ever imminent danger by its inhabitants, who don't care. But maybe that's just me. Thank you for sharing this piece!

Jan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service