Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi All, this is the second orchestral portrait of my series.

I was caught by the dreamy sight of this man.

Do you think the music matches with the portrait?

And if you liked it don't miss also the first one, you can find it through my Youtube channel or web site www.marcodistefano.art

Kind Regards

Marco

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Dave for your feedback,

is nice that you see a magician, I was imaging a the story of an ordinary man remembering how he had to fight to realize his dreams in life :)

Thank you for the kind words, and yes the progression is beautiful in itself. I tried to move it quickly to some less usual ones, hope it worked!

For the material I am limiting myself for this portrait series to use one idea per track and develop it all along. The same is for the portrait #1, don't know if you have listened to it.

In the track the main melodic idea represents what he is thinking, initially it is very sparse and mixed with the string texture, then it gets fixed with the strings section and after a moment of struggles it becomes more mature and calm, woodwinds do this very well. As said before I wanted to give the idea of a man thinking about a dream he had in his life, from its inception to realization to finally enjoying it :)

For the legato is a fair point, is always hard to make MIDI sounds like real instrument and still learning on this!

Again thanks for listening!

www.marcodistefano.art

Marco

This is really great Marco... I like it a lot better than the first one!

Are you also doing a "behind the scene" Video like you did for Portrait #1?

What library(ies) did you use to create this? Lovely work, it really resonates with me!

Thank you Timo!

Yes sure, hope to publish it before the end of this week

The list of libraries are in the description of the video

I am glad that it speaks to you :)

Timo Schuemer said:

This is really great Marco... I like it a lot better than the first one!

Are you also doing a "behind the scene" Video like you did for Portrait #1?

What library(ies) did you use to create this? Lovely work, it really resonates with me!

Thank you Em,

I like to write music that tells stories, happy that you appreciate it :)

Em Coston, (MM) said:

Well done. I particularly like your more focused pieces with visuals such as this.

Hi Dave,

I am using spitfire audio libraries, including hans zimmer strings here. I think they can sound still better than I do, but they get better composition after composition.

Indeed interpretation is free and your story is surely more interesting of an ordinary man going to work, so +1 :)

For the score, is a delicate point. I have been taught to compose orchestral music on paper sheets with a pencil several years ago, and it worked very well.

Last year I decided to change my workflow to adapt to the use of the DAW meaning that now I mainly focus on the midi parts doing live recording of the different instruments. In this scenario is very difficult to maintain a score since notes are not always quantized and other small issues. In conclusion I decided to not invest my time in creating scores, I will the day the need will arise.

But I use to publish a behind the scene of all my music, for this one will be ready in a few days, where I show the chose of instruments and explore the composition. Maybe you will find this interesting, feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel to get notified!

Dave Dexter said:

It's very close, though (the legato) just not quite as on the money as most of the rest of the mockup.

It doesn't really matter if we have different reactions to the photo, the point to become worried is if your music makes me ask "does he have a really boring job? Is he in HR in the middle of Slough or something?" Your music made me think he could be a magician, which says more about the music.

Do you have a score? I'd love to see how some of those textures were arranged.

You are touching an important delicate point, because as I said I come from the world of classic orchestration mainly writing my scores on paper first and then transferring to MIDI.

It was not an easy choice to move to MIDI, but I decided to do it because my vision is to write music that I can produce and share and VST are the only opportunity available now, since I cannot afford to pay an orchestra nor I had a request to do so.

I think that the fact that I have a classical background helps me to do this consciously. Actually my orchestral template is set up like the score of a classical orchestra, so I still fall into the same reasoning is just that I use MIDI as primary writing tool rather than score.

Also I try to avoid using tutti or section VST cause I like to orchestrate myself and make good use of the different timbre of instruments :)

So far I can resume I am happy of this decision because at least I can produce good quality music and share it, while my paper compositions are still on paper.

Dave Dexter said:

Really, it's some of the best sample work I've heard in a while, especially in this type of music where the joins are usually more apparent than in action music or something. Of course it could use some tweaks but those strings at 0.20 . . . nice. 1.20 is about where the strings start to stand out to me, they end notes a little too abruptly.

Fair enough, so you're using the samples as a means to an end rather than worrying so much about traditional orchestration and instrumentation? Normally I'd caution against that, but the end result is worth it for once :)

Marco Di Stefano said:

Hi Dave,

I am using spitfire audio libraries, including hans zimmer strings here. I think they can sound still better than I do, but they get better composition after composition.

Indeed interpretation is free and your story is surely more interesting of an ordinary man going to work, so +1 :)

For the score, is a delicate point. I have been taught to compose orchestral music on paper sheets with a pencil several years ago, and it worked very well.

Last year I decided to change my workflow to adapt to the use of the DAW meaning that now I mainly focus on the midi parts doing live recording of the different instruments. In this scenario is very difficult to maintain a score since notes are not always quantized and other small issues. In conclusion I decided to not invest my time in creating scores, I will the day the need will arise.

But I use to publish a behind the scene of all my music, for this one will be ready in a few days, where I show the chose of instruments and explore the composition. Maybe you will find this interesting, feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel to get notified!

Dave Dexter said:

It's very close, though (the legato) just not quite as on the money as most of the rest of the mockup.

It doesn't really matter if we have different reactions to the photo, the point to become worried is if your music makes me ask "does he have a really boring job? Is he in HR in the middle of Slough or something?" Your music made me think he could be a magician, which says more about the music.

Do you have a score? I'd love to see how some of those textures were arranged.

Hi Marco--again very well done:)

I enjoyed this very much, and thanks for sharing!

Bob

https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Thank you Bob for listening and giving your feedback!

Bob Morabito said:

Hi Marco--again very well done:)

I enjoyed this very much, and thanks for sharing!

Bob

Youre very welcome Marco--Ive enjoyed all of your pieces, and really enjoy listening to your music :)

Thanks Bob

Hi All,

if you are interested here is available the behind the scene revealing how I composed and orchestrated this

Thanks for watching!

Thanks, very useful to see how it is constructed!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service