Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is my latest work for orchestra. In the last days I studied the orchestration of Danny Elfman and inspired by that I tried adding more "dense" sections with overlapping melodic lines (similar to what Dukas used to do). Please let me know if you think it could be better or simply if you like it. Thanks :)

Link:

Aram Shahbazians - Wicked Lulu

This is the organic:

Violins I-II 

Violas

Cellos

Basses

Trumpets

Trombones

Horns

Tuba

Celesta

Harp

Choir

Military Snare

Toms

Gong

Cymbals

Aram

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everything was very good and I can hear the Danny Elfman inspiration in the music, perhaps a little too much. Orchestration was spot on and it sounded very good and professional, but I felt the music was a little to reminiscent of film scores such as Beetlejuice or even Harry Potter. I heard a sound a like and didn't get enough of you in the music. But thats just a personal opinion. 

good Job regardless 

Thank you very much for you comment!

You are perfectly right, this was a mash-up of styles with 70% Danny Elfman and 25% Dukas, Vierne. The 5% of my own style is probably not recognizable but I was not interested in that. The purpose of this music was demonstrating to my employers (videogame companies) that I'm able to emulate whichever style they like. Actually what you wrote made me really happy because that means I reached my goal! 
My own ideas and sound are more uncommon and suitable for few type of games. Actually I enjoy composing atonal music using algorithms but there's not much market for that :)

Tyler Hughes said:

Everything was very good and I can hear the Danny Elfman inspiration in the music, perhaps a little too much. Orchestration was spot on and it sounded very good and professional, but I felt the music was a little to reminiscent of film scores such as Beetlejuice or even Harry Potter. I heard a sound a like and didn't get enough of you in the music. But thats just a personal opinion. 

good Job regardless 

I like your track, it has a lot of details and shifts in moods which makes it interesting to listen to all the way trough. I do think the EQ could have been done better too much treble for my ears.

I have been thinking of doing something similar just to take me out of the comfort zone, you just inspired me to get on with it!

Well done.

To Raymond:

Thank you very much for your comment. You're right, there's little headroom at the end, although I tried fixing the problem with some upward expansion but anyway I need to work more on my mixing skills! About the snare, that's an effect due to the EQ, I put too much gain on the rattles and you can't percieve the attack really well. That's too bad because I noticed it afterwards (I mixed everything with headphones, sigh). I need to buy some studio monitors. Nice analysis, you really have good ears ;)

To Andres:

Thank you Andres, I'm really happy I inspired you to try something new! Thanks to this experiment I landed my first job with a videogame company so I'm really happy about the outcome :)

I'm still a beginner in mixing and my only gear is a 32 keys controller and a pair of headphones but soon I'll try to upgrade it! 

Thanks for listening and commenting. I really like this forum, it's inspiring being together with so many composers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service