Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is a peaceful nocturne/ballad that gets continuously interrupted by stormy winds and dancing tangents. It's dramatic and heartfelt. Rushed and calm. This piece had two completely different versions written down before I decided to combine both of them into one, since I liked both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGYNz7Mo-ow

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very interesting! And good playing too. The fast part reminds me a little of LVB's "Rage Over A Lost Penny." I think this piece works well. The only issue is with the recording. It sounds like a pretty poor recording. Not sure what you could do at this point to improve it, other than some EQ. I would start with a bass reduction. It sets up some nasty overtones which filter up through the rest of the sound spectrum, creating a muddy mix. Then perhaps a mid cut, and maybe a high boost. If you have any EQ plugins, you could also try the presets on it. EQ is very hard to learn. I myself don't mess much with it, using presets if I can get away with it. One possible plan here would be to cut the low Frequencies by 3 decibels, a 3 decibel mid-range cut (cut around 800), and a 3-6 decibel high boost if needed, although the other cuts may render that unnecessary. In doing EQ, cutting is better than boosting, generally speaking.

Thanks for the listen and feedback. I'll work on that :)

michael diemer said:

Very interesting! And good playing too. The fast part reminds me a little of LVB's "Rage Over A Lost Penny." I think this piece works well. The only issue is with the recording. It sounds like a pretty poor recording. Not sure what you could do at this point to improve it, other than some EQ. I would start with a bass reduction. It sets up some nasty overtones which filter up through the rest of the sound spectrum, creating a muddy mix. Then perhaps a mid cut, and maybe a high boost. If you have any EQ plugins, you could also try the presets on it. EQ is very hard to learn. I myself don't mess much with it, using presets if I can get away with it. One possible plan here would be to cut the low Frequencies by 3 decibels, a 3 decibel mid-range cut (cut around 800), and a 3-6 decibel high boost if needed, although the other cuts may render that unnecessary. In doing EQ, cutting is better than boosting, generally speaking.

Awesome piece!  I love the wild changes in tempo, variation in note range (great sounding low notes), and interesting chords.  Sounded almost circus-like in a few spots.  Not just a mix of tempo but a mix of style.  Kept it interesting throughout.

Great playing too.  I wish I could play my own pieces that well (or in some cases, at all!).

I didn't hear the recording issues mentioned above, but that's probably just me.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write these kind words and taking a listen to my work. I really appreciate it. Glad you liked it :)

Disconnectica said:

Awesome piece!  I love the wild changes in tempo, variation in note range (great sounding low notes), and interesting chords.  Sounded almost circus-like in a few spots.  Not just a mix of tempo but a mix of style.  Kept it interesting throughout.

Great playing too.  I wish I could play my own pieces that well (or in some cases, at all!).

I didn't hear the recording issues mentioned above, but that's probably just me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service