Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I have composed a nocturne for piano, flute, and cello.  Thanks.

Nocturne No. 1

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well done! That was very nice.

To be constructive, here are my observations:
1) the pace - is too fast. If it's performed at a more leisurely tempo, the pastoral quality will be more relaxed.
2) the chord progressions are very nice but are also very "safe" - there are moments of tension & resolution but they are mostly within well-trod patterns of 4 and 8 bars. But then sometimes the piano takes a left turn into an unexpected cadence, but in a way that feels like a mistake, not a deliberate composition. That was odd, and it happened many times.
3) voicing of the flute and cello were lost through most of the piece. It would have benefited from some carefully planned counterpoint, but instead it felt like those instruments were jogging along behind the piano, instead of taking the lead (as they should, since they are both strong melodic instruments).

Overall, my impression was that this is a recording of you improvising 4 1/2 minutes of music with three synth tracks, not a planned and crafted composition. This could be the *starting point* for getting some ideas recorded, which you could then refine into something well-crafted but it doesn't sound like a finished piece as it is.

There are a lot of motifs in this recording that you could refine and polish and explore in a more controlled manner, and then you'd have some very nice music! Good work.

Hi Minseo Park.  A sweet tune.. Reminds me quite a bit of Chopin's nocturne #2 - the second group of 4 bars from the beginning  though -- harmonically, and melodically… 

As Ian has somewhat pointed to, as the flute comes in, it is only doubling the piano melody… When the cello makes it's first (audible) entrance, it is in a supportive role.. More can be done with the other instruments… It sounds like a piano piece with flute and cello accompaniment ..  As a stand alone piano piece, i think it would work though.

First of all, I apologize for late reply.  Thank you very much for your constructive criticism!   One thing I would like to let you know is that I purposely tried to make the music sounds as if it is being played impromptu.  I also do agree with you on your comments on voicing.  Again, I appreciate your invaluable comments, and I will do my best to make better music next time.

Ian Ring said:

Well done! That was very nice.

To be constructive, here are my observations:
1) the pace - is too fast. If it's performed at a more leisurely tempo, the pastoral quality will be more relaxed.
2) the chord progressions are very nice but are also very "safe" - there are moments of tension & resolution but they are mostly within well-trod patterns of 4 and 8 bars. But then sometimes the piano takes a left turn into an unexpected cadence, but in a way that feels like a mistake, not a deliberate composition. That was odd, and it happened many times.
3) voicing of the flute and cello were lost through most of the piece. It would have benefited from some carefully planned counterpoint, but instead it felt like those instruments were jogging along behind the piano, instead of taking the lead (as they should, since they are both strong melodic instruments).

Overall, my impression was that this is a recording of you improvising 4 1/2 minutes of music with three synth tracks, not a planned and crafted composition. This could be the *starting point* for getting some ideas recorded, which you could then refine into something well-crafted but it doesn't sound like a finished piece as it is.

There are a lot of motifs in this recording that you could refine and polish and explore in a more controlled manner, and then you'd have some very nice music! Good work.

Thank you very much for listening the piece and providing me a comment!

Vladimir said:

Liked it. The recording is very nice too. 

You are absolutely right.  I do agree with you on that it is basically a piano solo piece where cello and flute play supporting roles.  Anyway, thank you very much for your comments!

gregorio X said:

Hi Minseo Park.  A sweet tune.. Reminds me quite a bit of Chopin's nocturne #2 - the second group of 4 bars from the beginning  though -- harmonically, and melodically… 

As Ian has somewhat pointed to, as the flute comes in, it is only doubling the piano melody… When the cello makes it's first (audible) entrance, it is in a supportive role.. More can be done with the other instruments… It sounds like a piano piece with flute and cello accompaniment ..  As a stand alone piano piece, i think it would work though.

Hi minseo, I love the idea of the Nocturne, and my favorite time to listen to them

is 'late at night'   lol

this piece has some nice moments and passages but seemed to lack a fluid

consistancy and time signature, which for me, disrupted the mood and 'capture'

a Noturne should have    IMO  all in all... not bad, but it could be better     RS

Roger,

Thank you very much for your comments!  I will try to make my music imbued with a fluid consistency.

roger stancill said:

Hi minseo, I love the idea of the Nocturne, and my favorite time to listen to them

is 'late at night'   lol

this piece has some nice moments and passages but seemed to lack a fluid

consistancy and time signature, which for me, disrupted the mood and 'capture'

a Noturne should have    IMO  all in all... not bad, but it could be better     RS

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service