Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi!

In practicing form, I have currently arrived at the Nocturne and just completed this Nocturne in F major dedicated to my wife for our seventh wedding anniversary (she is a piano teacher) and would like to hear what you have to say about it. General thoughts, thoughts of formal character, things concerning what is idiomatic (or not) for the instrument are all welcome.

This is the largest single movement work I have composed as of yet, and is still a bit uncertain of my ability to "keep things together" so to speak.

The music is to be found here:

https://soundcloud.com/davidunger/nocturne-in-f-major-for-solo-piano

and the sheet music here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1oojKhbAqNOSDB1OFFHeW9SdG8/view?u...

All the best

David

Views: 206

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is very well done and I enjoyed listening. You've used your materials wisely, with dynamics and harmonic variations to make good use of your themes, and the piece holds together as a whole which is important.

I would like to hear your melodies be more assertive, have your right hand control the music more. Your accompaniments are good but the melodies are fragmented and react to the accompaniment rather than lead the way.  The melodies need to focus our attention away from the left hand which otherwise becomes repetitive.

I look forward to hearing more from you!

Thank you Ingo for your comments, I appreciate them greatly.

And yes it was difficult for me (who normally conciders myself a melodist) to construct a more elaborate melody this time, but I shall take your words in concideration for upcoming efforts.

David, I would like to listen to this, but soundcloud doesnt seem to work on my

end. Could you possibly do an MP3?  Thanks    RS

Of course Roger, will do immediately.

roger stancill said:

David, I would like to listen to this, but soundcloud doesnt seem to work on my

end. Could you possibly do an MP3?  Thanks    RS

David, I am a big fan of the art form 'Nocturne'. Tho' I am no expert at all.

There is a certain quality to some of them that resonates 'after the sun sets'.

I have tried to write 7 of them so far, hopefully improving with each attempt.

In your next attempt, try to get more dialog between the hands and stretch

the march into something that is not a daytime activity.

Even a pause with the left hand will change the dynamic.

Good try, but still 5 to 7 O'clock-ish, yet still with interesting potential.         RS  

Thanks Roger!

Still struggling with instrumental music in general and piano music in particular, I just don't have a natural feel for it yet, I think, and rely heavily on influences from other works (and theoretical rules in general) to create something that I can stand for. This is based on influences from John Fields famous Nocturne in B flat (first part) and Chopins op 37 no 1 in g minor (the march). I found it intriguing to try to create something worth while just using chords in ground position as in the middle section of the Chopin and my own piece. However I managed I think I just finding out.

Thanks for the respons once again.

All the best

David

roger stancill said:

David, I am a big fan of the art form 'Nocturne'. Tho' I am no expert at all.

There is a certain quality to some of them that resonates 'after the sun sets'.

I have tried to write 7 of them so far, hopefully improving with each attempt.

In your next attempt, try to get more dialog between the hands and stretch

the march into something that is not a daytime activity.

Even a pause with the left hand will change the dynamic.

Good try, but still 5 to 7 O'clock-ish, yet still with interesting potential.         RS  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service