Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello, this is a piece I've been working on for a while, it's a nocturne for piano and flute depicting impressions of snow. It's not done, but I wanted to try to get some opinions on it. I started the piece a while ago, and got back to it recently, so my style seems to have changed, and I'm not sure the second half of the piece fits in the original context of it. I would be happy to have feedback on this,

(Note: The last couple seconds of the audio file contains a repetition that shouldn't be there)

François

Views: 136

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gorgeous music, Francois, which I think Debussy himself would have been proud to have written. Impressionism at its best.

I saw no problem at all with the "second part;" in fact, I the piece flowed so smoothly that I never even noticed it. It was an organic whole, at least in my hearing. 

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you liked it :) And happy to hear that you thought it was a smooth transition.

Thanks for the feedback,

François

michael diemer said:

Gorgeous music, Francois, which I think Debussy himself would have been proud to have written. Impressionism at its best.

I saw no problem at all with the "second part;" in fact, I the piece flowed so smoothly that I never even noticed it. It was an organic whole, at least in my hearing. 

Hi Francois,

It's an appealing piece, with an interesting approach to melody in the flute. It has a delicate feel to it and I think handily evokes the snow theme. As you stated, not done yet, so I assume you are still working on an ending since what you have provided doesn't have one. There are some non-standard things you are doing with the notation, particularly with slurs and ties, but perhaps these are also because it is a work in progress. As a whole the only critique I would offer is that it feels to me underdynamicised - It starts off in a midrange of volume and tempo and doesn't really vary from that until the end, which over time becomes dull. Perhaps you are working on this also. Thanks for sharing!

Gav

Beautiful piece Francois, pleasant to listen to.  Your writing is very sophisticated, impressionistic I guess. I did notice somewhat of a difference from about measure 35 onward, it seemed more technical, less expressive but it didn't bother me at all and I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. This is a style that doesn't rely on continuity and development as much I think. My only question would be the breathing spots for the flute player, I suppose a pro would make this work but you haven't left much room it, just a thought.

Thank you for the feedback :) It's not done indeed, and I'm planning on fixing a lot of what you mentioned. As for the dynamics, I agree with you, I'm going to introduce some more variety, thanks for the suggestion.

Gav Brown said:

Hi Francois,

It's an appealing piece, with an interesting approach to melody in the flute. It has a delicate feel to it and I think handily evokes the snow theme. As you stated, not done yet, so I assume you are still working on an ending since what you have provided doesn't have one. There are some non-standard things you are doing with the notation, particularly with slurs and ties, but perhaps these are also because it is a work in progress. As a whole the only critique I would offer is that it feels to me underdynamicised - It starts off in a midrange of volume and tempo and doesn't really vary from that until the end, which over time becomes dull. Perhaps you are working on this also. Thanks for sharing!

Gav

Thank you for the feedback :) This is the part I was referring to indeed, and I've set my mind on working on it a bit. As for the breathing room for the flute, you're right, I will have to work on that.

Ingo Lee said:

Beautiful piece Francois, pleasant to listen to.  Your writing is very sophisticated, impressionistic I guess. I did notice somewhat of a difference from about measure 35 onward, it seemed more technical, less expressive but it didn't bother me at all and I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. This is a style that doesn't rely on continuity and development as much I think. My only question would be the breathing spots for the flute player, I suppose a pro would make this work but you haven't left much room it, just a thought.

Very beautiful. Can’t wait to listen to the completed work.
Other than the already mentioned breathing spots, I suggest you to find room for the piano to take the stage here and there,
eg. some theme swapping, thus developing some dialogue between the duo.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback :) I agree with you, the piano needs to be put upfront too, I'll be working on this. 

Fabio Biolcati said:

Very beautiful. Can’t wait to listen to the completed work.
Other than the already mentioned breathing spots, I suggest you to find room for the piano to take the stage here and there,
eg. some theme swapping, thus developing some dialogue between the duo.
Thanks for sharing.

Lovely piece. Kinda Lost interest from the outset because piano is not prevalent and is too quiet. The piece has great potential if revised.

Thanks for the feedback :) I can see that now, I'm going to work on it again

Saul Gefen said:

Lovely piece. Kinda Lost interest from the outset because piano is not prevalent and is too quiet. The piece has great potential if revised.

Hi Francois,

I find it just beautiful. I enjoyed it a lot, the duet works fine, both voices contribute and are interesting to listen to.

But what happens in the end? Maybe you should work out a better ending. It is really a pity that such a lovely piece leaves the listener in confusion.

By the way, I think it has a touch of Debussy. Some favorite of yours?

Kjell

So ethereal. Love the sound and the atmosphere, floating between tension and relaxation.

A valuable composition, imho.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service