Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Will anyone have any new years resolutions relating to composition?

I would like to finish the several St Quartets I am working on and my 1st piano sonata, as well as a trio for P,VC and clarinet.

Anyone else?

Views: 442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The wonders of Amazon hey!

Socrates Arvanitakis said:

Happy to announce I traced it in Amazon uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbo...

for 69 pence (+ 2.80 packing and postage, of course). I'll order it on Monday!

My goal this year is to grow as a composer in terms of becoming less restricted in my writing style and process.

I want to continue to become more dynamic in how I develop pieces instead of following a simple ABA pattern. 

Also, I need to focus on actually finishing more pieces. I have about 50-60 unfinished songs, and really, I can't even call them "songs". More like 10 seconds ideas that I have no clue how to continue. But, I find that I only finish a song every 6 months or so, and really.... that's not good at all. My goal is to at least do one song a month, even if their short. Getting more music out there and hopefully continueing grow as a composer.

@ Paul & Stephen,

Yes, I was having a bad day, but apart from that, I do mean that this forum sometimes makes me too tired and prevents me from doing other more pleasant/musical things (due to irrelevancy of some subjects under discussion and obstinacy - we don't even agree to disagree it seems and just leave it at that) but hey, Paul, that's only me too, I prefer to stay as a forum member at present, tomorrow maybe different.

Thanks for the hospitality. Happy New Year!

@ Blake

50-60 unfinished! You're lucky! Sometimes I think I've got thousands in manuscript form that I don't have time to digitize.

ABA is good! I mean for either vocal or instrumental pieces. It can be as short or as long as it fits your aims.

Expansion/variation has started being discussed already in this thread. Schoenberg's book would elucidate things enormously, I think.

Regarding unfinished songs (that seem to be stuck) I have found many times that this has something to do with lyrics and poetic meter used. It works for me this way: I have the main idea (the tune for the verse, say, and I'm stuck). I go immediately and change the meter if I want to write something new for the chorus (if I want a chorus that is) and voila!

The iambs become trochees and the music for the chorus comes unforced (almost generating itself sometimes) or at least the new rhythmic properties suggest new melodic curves. That I have found really helpful and working with me.

What do you think?

@Socrates, lol... "I think I've got thousands in manuscript form that I don't have time to digitize", lol, I think the reason I don't have more is because I can't write music on paper so I everything I write is only contained in memory until I "digitize" it in Fl Studio. Unfortunately, I have faulty memory at times so 60% of the melodies I pick out on the piano get forgotten, else I'd probably have more... but I definitely understand what you mean... sometimes there's just not enough time to finish or really even get started on the ideas that can pop into ones head...

ABA can be good, yes. Unfortunately, I haven't the knowledge to successfully pull it off without my music sounding stunted, repetitive, and boring. I started with my first "compositions" being of the pop/hip-hop variety. Very much looped and repeated verses that offered little in the way of interest and variation. I'm trying to grow out of that and bring my orchestrations to a higher level of complexity if you will. Not every song though has to be done that way, of course. 

I'll admit that I am very limited in my technical knowledge of music so, atm, I'm just learning as much as possible through experience and trying new things. 

About "Resolutions."

I think we need to ask the musical compositions themselves (and not the composers) about how they view the coming year.

Do they have any plans to resolve, during the exposition, development or recapitulation of the main theme, or in the last chord of the coda?

Should a New Year's (Music) Resolution be a CEG chord, or perhaps something a bit more original?

I believe it depends on the previous chord, Ondib. (not necessarily a 2015 chord).

O. Olmnilnlolm said:

About "Resolutions."

I think we need to ask the musical compositions themselves (and not the composers) about how they view the coming year.

Do they have any plans to resolve, during the exposition, development or recapitulation of the main theme, or in the last chord of the coda?

Should a New Year's (Music) Resolution be a CEG chord, or perhaps something a bit more original?

Yes, Socrates.

I have noticed, since the end of the Old Year, some of the chords which existed in previous years have somehow surreptitiously slipped into this New Year of 2016.  How they got in here, I'll never know.  Who allowed them in?  Did they have visas?  Were they vetted by the proper authorities?

Then I think, maybe they got into 2016 the same way that we did.   

Still, I have a passport, and I doubt that any of them did.

I just welcome them (chords) as refugees, Ondib, willing to disregard visa & protocol.

I think the CEG chord might not be a refugee.  He may be on the Board of Directors of a few Big Banks, banks that are investing in arms companies, that produce bombs that are CAUSING THE refugee crisis.   

Maybe we should have left him where he was, back in 2015.  Don't forget that the "sweetest sounding chords," and the most normal sounding ones, are probably the most deceptive.   

I just welcome them (chords) as refugees, Ondib, willing to disregard visa & protocol.

Hey what this world would be without its CEOs?

(you can detune the E if you desire... but leave me at least C & G)

C#,  E# and O flat make up a good chord, if you make the O flat 3 cents higher than the standard frequency.

Hey what this world would be without its CEOs?

(you can detune the E if you desire... but leave me at least C & G)

I have to revert to Italian terminology here.

A => La

B => Si

C => Do

D => Re

E => Mi

F => Fa

G => Sol

and say:

Mi La Re Si

which phonetically in modern Greek means:

Hey you, say something!

Or if you want to add a bit of Portuguese in it: Mi La Re Si FaDo.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service