Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

/https://soundcloud.com/emilymillerbond/reflections-of-an-evening

This is a quiet, reflective piece I wrote recently.  The hook for me was the G flat chord over a b flat minor chord.  That suggested practically the whole piece for me. 

Feedback welcome!

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is the correct link below--the one above doesnt work. Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

https://soundcloud.com/emilymillerbond/reflections-of-an-evening

Hello Emily,

This is an evocative work which envelops one in the sound and moodiness of it. The picture on your Soundlcloud of a snowy winter's evening seems to me to match the mood quite well. A memorable melody and a sweet and simple approach to harmony are also quite well done. The only quibble I had with it is that it seems not so much to end as it does to stop, that is, I didn't hear anything as the end approached that prepared me for it. I might suggest a slow diminishment of volume as the end approaches, even if you don't change a single note, would achieve this. A lot of modern music, particular in the pop/rock arena, ends with a "repeat and fade," and it can be quite effective for slow-tempo pieces such as yours. All in all, a very nice work, thanks for sharing it!

Gav

Thank you Gav.  I am actually puzzled about what you heard at the end - not quite getting what you meant.  What I put there was that minor six chord, a slight ritard, then I it diminished into the resolution tonic chord.  Very quiet.  I'm wondering if what you heard got cut off or something.

Hi Emily,

The piece on Soundcloud is 4:01 in length, I see that it starts to dimuendo around 3:49, there is about 5 seconds of sound after that during which there are almost no notes playing, and then the last 5 seconds or so is quiet. It has the effect to my ears of the piece just stopping -

Gav

Huh.  I wonder if it's because you have a different sound system.  I know I should probably check it out on other systems - I only use two.  Because when I play it on my system I hear it fine, right up to the end.

Emily is there a chance of viewing a score at all?

No, I don't use score, just DAW.  I'm always trying for a finished recording. 

Kevin riley said:

Emily is there a chance of viewing a score at all?

Hi Emily,

I like the way this develops. Nice 5ths over the harp arpeggio? Definitely a melancholy work. Very reflective. Nice use of pads. Uncluttered mix. Clean and straight forward. I didn't have the technical issues listening on my system here.The pads sit just right under everything else.

I think the track has potential as a movie track. Nice background music. Not overt. Well placed changes. Nice mix. This is very well done!

Thank you Timothy  Your comments are perceptive and appreciated!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service