Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

With this piece I was trying to go for something positive and uplifting, that might be used to accompany film (a trailer, montage, etc). I would really appreciate your feedback on this, thanks. 

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi James, this sounds good and I would say it is uplifting too. You have a typical cinematic piece here which is what you want I think so it is well done in that respect.  To my ears there is too much repetition for even a short piece.  You could easily develop your material more here without losing the emotional content.

It's difficult to judge the effect of this without the main visual focus that you are trying to support. I would think most trailers have more range and shading of emotions and often change quickly between them but without the subject matter we don't know.  Maybe you should practice with some film footage to see what works best.

Thanks for your feedback. Good idea about practising to some film, I think it will be something I could learn a lot from. For this piece, it was more of an attempt at music that might be suitable for stock/production library.

Appreciate that the repetition isn't for you - I do tend to go for simplicity in my writing style. I did throw in a time signature change and a couple of key changes, but the piano riff and much of the melody stays much the same throughout. 

Thanks again for your comments, I really appreciate this! 

Ingo Lee said:

Hi James, this sounds good and I would say it is uplifting too. You have a typical cinematic piece here which is what you want I think so it is well done in that respect.  To my ears there is too much repetition for even a short piece.  You could easily develop your material more here without losing the emotional content.

It's difficult to judge the effect of this without the main visual focus that you are trying to support. I would think most trailers have more range and shading of emotions and often change quickly between them but without the subject matter we don't know.  Maybe you should practice with some film footage to see what works best.

I'll say that I wasn't bothered at all by the repetitive piano writing here, largely because it was such a short piece. But if you were to extend it and develop it further, I would think you should want to vary it some. As for whether it's appropriate to a trailer, I'm not sure - as Ingo says, most cinematic trailers have much more widely varying emotional content, sometimes sudden changes of texture and mood. What it might be more appropriate for IMO is a video. I could see it being used as accompaniment to a clip of flying over some beautiful mountain ridges and valleys.

The material could of course be worked into a film score, and perhaps what is here could be played over the closing credits, which is where some of the best film music is found - a shame that most moviegoers walk out as soon as the action is over!

Hi Liz, thanks for your comments. You've made some really good points. I completely agree that it's not really cinematic enough for a film trailer. In my head I was thinking a trailer for a nature documentary or something similar, so it's a nice coincidence that you've mentioned mountain ridges and valleys. Really appreciate your thoughts, thanks again for this! 

Liz Atems said:

I'll say that I wasn't bothered at all by the repetitive piano writing here, largely because it was such a short piece. But if you were to extend it and develop it further, I would think you should want to vary it some. As for whether it's appropriate to a trailer, I'm not sure - as Ingo says, most cinematic trailers have much more widely varying emotional content, sometimes sudden changes of texture and mood. What it might be more appropriate for IMO is a video. I could see it being used as accompaniment to a clip of flying over some beautiful mountain ridges and valleys.

The material could of course be worked into a film score, and perhaps what is here could be played over the closing credits, which is where some of the best film music is found - a shame that most moviegoers walk out as soon as the action is over!

I liked this as a montage or trailer as you say. Has a great positive airy vibe.The arpeggiated strings give it plenty of movement that would go well with something like 4k drone footage over a scenic landscape. In fact, you might want to consider that as a way to promote the music? 

It's a shame really that most of the GP are conditioned to see this as backdrop music when probably so much time went into making it. OTOH, if you are aspiring for paid work to compliment a video I don't think it gets much better than this for documentary sorts of work. If you could find the right connections and keep making similar you might be on to something. Lots of people do.

Hi, James,

Well, I'm pretty averse to "film music" - not, though, to film set to music which happens rather less but seemed to be called for here. What I found attractive is its minimalistic style. It could have gone on a little longer in this context akin to Philip Glass' 'Dance' pieces. In that sense it's a piece in its own right. Giving prominence to the piano is great. A pleasant motif. Possibly this is a piece looking for a videographer rather than wondering if there's a film to which this could be spotted.

The balance and production are fine.

Congrats. A pleasant listen.

Thanks for your very kind words, I really appreciate your thoughts on this. That's an excellent idea about the drone footage, I'll give that a go. 

I'm currently trying to build up my portfolio to apply to some production libraries, so it's good to hear that you think it will work for this type of thing. 

Thanks again! 

Timothy Smith said:

I liked this as a montage or trailer as you say. Has a great positive airy vibe.The arpeggiated strings give it plenty of movement that would go well with something like 4k drone footage over a scenic landscape. In fact, you might want to consider that as a way to promote the music? 

It's a shame really that most of the GP are conditioned to see this as backdrop music when probably so much time went into making it. OTOH, if you are aspiring for paid work to compliment a video I don't think it gets much better than this for documentary sorts of work. If you could find the right connections and keep making similar you might be on to something. Lots of people do.

Thank you! Yes, I often go for minimalism in my music. Glad you found it pleasing to the ear, and thanks for your comments about the balance and production. I'm fairly new to producing my own music, so this is useful. Thanks again. 

Dane Aubrun said:

Hi, James,

Well, I'm pretty averse to "film music" - not, though, to film set to music which happens rather less but seemed to be called for here. What I found attractive is its minimalistic style. It could have gone on a little longer in this context akin to Philip Glass' 'Dance' pieces. In that sense it's a piece in its own right. Giving prominence to the piano is great. A pleasant motif. Possibly this is a piece looking for a videographer rather than wondering if there's a film to which this could be spotted.

The balance and production are fine.

Congrats. A pleasant listen.

I'm getting a montage feel from it.  Definitely soundtrack quality.  If anything, I'd encourage you to "mix it up" a little. The latter part is great, but there is no reason not to add to the first part.  That's my ear, though.  It's fine as it is.  Nice work. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service