Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Here's a new orchestral song I made. Please tell me what you liked and din't like, I appreciate the feedback, thanks. https://soundcloud.com/nmarnson215

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hear a men's chorus in the first section, a working mans refrain.  I liked the percussion throughout.

Lawrence

Hey and thanks for the feedback. Can you explain what you mean? The way I planned it, it's a low part, and then a bridge followed by the high part( which is the low part in a higher key). I don't see where else it has to go. Please reply, I'd like to learn more if I can.

Fredrick zinos said:

Well, its an OK idea, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

What's the problem with chorus in the begining? Is it just supposed to be in the higher parts?

Lawrence Aurich said:

I hear a men's chorus in the first section, a working mans refrain.  I liked the percussion throughout.

Lawrence

To get a bigger sound try stacking a lot strings on top of each other. Having 1st violins, 2nd violins, violas & cello's playing the same notes will give it a more massive sound - if thats what you're going for.

Also experimenting with placing for example the violins an octave higher can remove some of the "mud" from this technique.

I definitely think you're on the right way - just needs a little more work to get some more depth. Keep going :-)

Sounds like a suspenseful scene like when a movie starts or something but I agree with the comments before me. It's good so far but more can me done! :)

The truth is that I am just trying to write stuff so I can learn. This only my third real piece, and I learn with each one. I'm not writing for a scene or anything. And yes it was written in a DAW. 

Bob Porter said:

Natanel

I like both the pieces on your page. Perhaps the first one better.

What Fredrick means is that you have four chords that repeat. There is little contrast between your three sections. Both in orchestration and musical content. All that may be fine since you are creating little musical vignettes. Seems to me that you are recreating what you have heard in film or game music. Remember that in film music, the music is written after the scene is in the can. The composer can not do what ever he wants. So the music is limited. It must fit the action. So we need to know why you have written this music. What is the story here.

As I said, I like what you have written. Thanks for posting it. Written with a DAW, I suspect.

Yeah I hear that. Thanks for the reply.

Raymond Kemp said:

It just isn't big enough for purpose which I assume is game play score. It needs layering, 70 piece strings, brass players blowing their brains out, percussion in a cavern, etc.

and more detailed programming with your midi controls.

Yeah I hear. The problem for me is that I just have the standard Pro Tools plug ins, so if I set another violin playing the same note, it just sounds like one violin playing louder. I guess I need more sophisticated plug ins??

Anders Christensen said:

To get a bigger sound try stacking a lot strings on top of each other. Having , 2nd violins, violas & cello's playing the same notes will give it a more massive sound - if thats what you're going for.

Also experimenting with placing for example the violins an octave higher can remove some of the "mud" from this technique.

I definitely think you're on the right way - just needs a little more work to get some more depth. Keep going :-)

I truly loved this track, although I don't know what is it about.. 
I would prefer to give the tom drums in the beginning some bass in the EQ..and I would raise the levels of the lead notes in the first verse to give it the highlight, because the melody is kinda lost between the beautiful harmoniesI loved the staccato strings in the ending, loved the harmony in general, and I would prefer to repeat that final part one more time with slight climax.. maybe play it in a higher octave, I believe this will be more fulfilling and, it's up to you..

Great job, Good luck and have a nice day..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service