Music Composers Unite!
This is a great idea!
It could be big in the coming years! :)
I totally agree with you on all counts, which is why i didn't post on there.
Jon Corelis said:
This is a potentially useful site, but looking at it I found a number of concerns. I'm posting them here since it might be useful to see other people's reactions to them.
- The search function needs a "genre" index.
- There apparently is no way to include mp3 sound files -- this would be useful at least as an option.
- The upload page (which I looked at without actually trying to upload anything) doesn't indicate what file formats are acceptable (just pdf?) or whether there are size limits on uploaded files.
- I found it a bit confusing that files seem to be displayed in Google Documents form, but when you download you get a pdf. Why not just use pdf?
- The site doesn't work well with Firefox. The text in the thumbnails on the introduction page isn't displayed properly in that browser.
- Perhaps the biggest problem is the statement on the uploads page that "all contributions to the New Music Library are considered to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2." Some people won't understand what this license is (I've read explanations of it and still don't understand what it is), others are reluctant to publish anything except on a "copyright all rights reserved" basis.
- Is the site ever going to turn into a pay or ad-supported site? I'm not suggesting you're going to do this, but it would be best to specifically say whether or not this could happen in the site documentation. Likewise, I'm not suggesting you'd misuse e-mail addresses, but since this is so commonly done, it would be best to have a specific guarantee that email addresses won't be used for anything but contacting contributors about using their work.
- It's fine to solicit contributions, but many people are very reluctant to give a cc number to a web site that doesn't include a physical post address and phone number (a lot of consumer advice authors recommend never doing this.)
- There should be links back to the Home (Welcome) page from every other page, and the link should be marked Home.
- An FAQ dealing with some of the above points would be useful.
Well that's a lot, and probably some people won't agree with all those points, so they can be discussed here. In spite of the above, I think the site is basically a good idea.
It is a good idea - so let's see those improvements before we can start posting.