Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello all,
it has been awhile sense I have had an internet connection. now that I do I will be able to start participating in the forum again =)

I have composed some new music this summer that I have tried to put myself outside of my normal style of odd and weird music. this is a lot more pop/traditional than I have ever done. I hope y'all enjoy it.

the main thing I have concerns about and I hope your comments may help with is my mix. I know something is not right, its close but no cigar.
I know it would help if I had good monitors but I don't have the cash for that right now. so I borrowed my friends neutral balanced studio headphones.

Op3 - The Sunshine Suite
The score calls for
Yamaha CS-80 (or equivalent), Electric Piano, Guitar, Bass, Trap set, 2 Violins, and Soprano Sax.

I used the Arturia CS-80V a softsynth Yamaha CS-80 emulator, the E. Piano, guitar, drums and sax are from Garritan Jazz Band (my 2 newest toys hehe) and the bass is from my Fender Jazz bass running direct into the computer.
I used AmplitudeMetal and AmpegSVX VST amp modeling emulators on the guitar and bass. I want to record actual guitars into these as soon as I have the time to do so.

This is only the first half. I have 3 or 4 more songs I would like to add but I am still working out my final drafts of the score before recording it.

Thank you for any helpful input and please enjoy!

Views: 24

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some midi controlers are my next investment.
I write with my guitar and transfer to midi by hand.
I use Reaper but I have a hard time trying to get expression out of GPO I'm still trying to figure all that out...

Ray Kemp said:
Mike,

What DAW do you use?
I'm only listening to one track at a time so that'll be no1
You'll have to ride cc7 or cc11 on the expression / level especially on that violin type sound.
Think of it like an organist who creates movement where there is none by using the foot control volume level.
The JABB sounds also have many variations in tone and timbre by using the appropriate midi controllers.
Do you have a keyboard with knobs and sliders that you can assign to these variables?

Ray
yep. I have been working on that.. I am still trying to figure out what all controls what and how they all work together to create more realistic sounds. but using cc11 for some reason dosnt seem to do much when I draw it in on Reaper. It seems so subtle that sometimes I wonder if I am doing it right.
What I would love is to find local string players and record them in the studio my band mate hase in his home. Someday it will come together like that =)

Ray Kemp said:
Mike said:
Some midi controlers are my next investment.
I write with my guitar and transfer to midi by hand.
I use Reaper but I have a hard time trying to get expression out of GPO I'm still trying to figure all that out...

You can draw in the controller info in reaper

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service