Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Another sketch, but a little more complete than previous weeks I think. I have been having computer and hard drive problems so this is why the delayed weekly submissions.

This one was composed from the idea first. It is a much more intentional composition than my previous sketches. I would like to build on this but I am not sure where to go with it yet.

Please comment without fear of offense.

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Appealing. It has a nice sound picture. I don't really understand the title but it is not essential at this moment since you told us you are working on this. And this introduction promises a lot. I look forward to the continuation, pretty exciting actually. I have no idea myself whatsoever how to continue the work. I think anyway it is more appropriate to let the composer decide on his own work.

(Maybe check Smetana's Moldau piece, composed in my home country, where he continued a similar intro with a Swedish folk song, simple melodic i.e.)

Cheers,

Kjell

First I would like to start by saying, this is a very nice piece. I like the atmosphere it creates.

Now, where to go with it. We are all different when it comes to writing and this is how I personally see it. This is crying out for a huge build up and a massive climax with full orchestra then right at the end, bring it back down as the start of the piece.

That obviously is how I would go as I do usually write like that. soft then build up then climax then sometimes back to soft.

Really though, you can go anyway you like as it does well as it is, i'm just saying it has the potential to go huge also.

Anyway, I did enjoy the piece and the mood :)

I could listen to this all night. In asking, where does it go from here, I think it's already on a journey. You could easily fill another 20 minutes of delightful ambient sounds, with or without a huge dynamic range. I suspect you have the talent and ear to actually go for a massive build-up and full orchestra climax. The oboe line really catches my ear, you've captured it's essence beautifully.

Excellent use of dynamics. This is much better than your last offering (or the last one I listened to), Stan, which seemed more like a textbook exercise. This is, as you say, more intentional. I like to "start with the effect." What effect am I trying to elicit in the listener? And then go about creating that effect, using myself as the listener. I think you are more likely to get more original results that way. This way you can proceed more by intuition than by rules. Write what you like, not what you think others might like.

Thanks Kjell The idea is to paint a picture of space. I tried to keep it thin and spacious and ponderous. I even thought of calling it nebulous. I see what you were thinking about in Smetana's Moldau piece especially the second movement/theme. I hear Beethoven's influence in his piece?

Kjell Prytz said:

Appealing. It has a nice sound picture. I don't really understand the title but it is not essential at this moment since you told us you are working on this. And this introduction promises a lot. I look forward to the continuation, pretty exciting actually. I have no idea myself whatsoever how to continue the work. I think anyway it is more appropriate to let the composer decide on his own work.

(Maybe check Smetana's Moldau piece, composed in my home country, where he continued a similar intro with a Swedish folk song, simple melodic i.e.)

Cheers,

Kjell

Thanks Keith. I notice that most of my pieces tend to build to a climax at the end. I am not sure yet what  I will do with this piece, but if I build a climax it would have to be for some cosmic event.

Keith Theodosiou said:

First I would like to start by saying, this is a very nice piece. I like the atmosphere it creates.

Now, where to go with it. We are all different when it comes to writing and this is how I personally see it. This is crying out for a huge build up and a massive climax with full orchestra then right at the end, bring it back down as the start of the piece.

That obviously is how I would go as I do usually write like that. soft then build up then climax then sometimes back to soft.

Really though, you can go anyway you like as it does well as it is, i'm just saying it has the potential to go huge also.

Anyway, I did enjoy the piece and the mood :)

Thanks Graeme for your very positive comments. I think it would be a good discipline for me to try and build this in to a piece without a huge climax as that is often what  I tend to do. I also think if I keep the strings playing those bars and bars of whole notes they will either nod off or go on strike!

Graeme Helliwell said:

I could listen to this all night. In asking, where does it go from here, I think it's already on a journey. You could easily fill another 20 minutes of delightful ambient sounds, with or without a huge dynamic range. I suspect you have the talent and ear to actually go for a massive build-up and full orchestra climax. The oboe line really catches my ear, you've captured it's essence beautifully.

Thanks Michael. Your comments are most helpful. I am curious as to which piece you felt was an exercise. If you are thinking of Light and Airy you are spot on the money.

michael diemer said:

Excellent use of dynamics. This is much better than your last offering (or the last one I listened to), Stan, which seemed more like a textbook exercise. This is, as you say, more intentional. I like to "start with the effect." What effect am I trying to elicit in the listener? And then go about creating that effect, using myself as the listener. I think you are more likely to get more original results that way. This way you can proceed more by intuition than by rules. Write what you like, not what you think others might like.

Hi Stanley

Sounds very nice indeed. This piece is actually well-named since its a bit nebulous in the sense that its hard to grasp where its leading us. They do say that it's the journey, not the getting there that counts. But it would be nice to actually be able to say "yep, I've arrived, and what a long strange trip it's been!".

Cheers, Colin

Thanks Colin. It is, at this stage, not leading anywhere it is just my ideas about a nebula.  Give me about a billion years and I may be able to bring it to an end.  :D Seriously though, thanks for the direction on direction.

Colin Dougall said:

Hi Stanley

Sounds very nice indeed. This piece is actually well-named since its a bit nebulous in the sense that its hard to grasp where its leading us. They do say that it's the journey, not the getting there that counts. But it would be nice to actually be able to say "yep, I've arrived, and what a long strange trip it's been!".

Cheers, Colin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service