Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The first draft of my wind quintet. Finally complete. Please have a listen, and let me know what you think.

Views: 402

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Charles--IMHO the playback is fine and more than adequate to present your work.

Each composer decides for themselves, what playback they will use for their recording. They may not have expensive libraries or a DAW, or even know how to use either, which again is fine, and its their choice what if anything to do about it. They use what they have, and choose to use..

People listening should be able to "hear the music" in their heads regardless of what playback is used. This to me is more than adequate to critique the music--which is what your piece was posted for , and critique the quality of the recording when that is asked for.

The idea that each and every piece posted here must be at a certain polished very high level, is again quite unfortunate, when for whatever reason, as stated above, this is not done or able to be afforded by the composer. This also has, in the past, and also may be now  preventing people from posting their works.

PLEASE dont let this stop ANYONE from posting their works!! :)

If the playback really puts someone off so horribly, then either:

1) If its a scrolling score as in your case, they can simply turn the volume off and follow the score, as they should be capable of hearing it in their mind. This should not be a problem, as they can use the very best live instruments/performers  they've ever heard for playback.

2) And if just a score is provided, simply do the same--read the score and hear the real instruments in ones mind.

3) If no score is presented and one is so put off by the sound, then they can simply skip critiquing the piece.

I feel that we should listen to the music of the piece, and critique what is asked for by the poster, and accept that.

Again, this is  really good work Charles.

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Charles Burns said:

Hi Ray - Sure, the sounds are just a reference, since it's just a draft.  Yes, Ligeti is amazing.

Ray Kemp said:

Charles,

I’m put off by the poor playback but I’m sure if that were addressed by better production or real players that may change. When I fancy tackling composition with such an ensemble my reference is this 

Ray

It may be restrictive to prefer a composer uses a DAW for a higher quality mockup, but your stance is restrictive to those listening

Maybe everyone here "should" be able to interpret score-only or NS playback - god knows there are many qualities I believe all composers "should" possess - the fact is not everyone can. Why should they be dismissed from the conversation?

I'm lost..let me try and understand..so you feel, especially since you say you cant read music, that the score here doesnt help you--ok.

But are you saying with the "NS playback" provided you cant interpret the score by just listening to it?

Again Im lost. How are you excluded???

The widest net is cast with a score AND a recording or quality mockup, unless it's felt that composers lacking the ability to read/mentally interpret score are less welcome?

Why should they be dismissed from the conversation?

Again, please read it again for NOWHERE did I espouse anything of the sort, and your statement is unfounded.. Again you seem to be trying to say that I said composers should ONLY provide a score or playback.

I said nothing of the kind.

I just stated as many possible scenarios I could think of as to what ANOTHER composer might/might not have provided with their post, and how one who was so offended by the playback might cope with it. Simple as that:)

Again, I kindly suggest a reread of my post above. Thanks

You yourself do not supply scores so we're left unable to follow what we "should" be able to do regarding your work :)

Yes thats correct and has been covered before..quite recently and quite thoroughly in fact! Please refer to that re your question. Thanks, and.....

And much more importantly I have NEVER posted a score for critique-- only to my blog/page here for people to listen to if they want...and Im quite sure scores arent asked for there...so Im even more lost by your statements here...again?

Thanks..I did my best trying to understand what you had written..I hope I did understand!

Dave Dexter said:

It may be restrictive to prefer a composer uses a DAW for a higher quality mockup, but your stance is restrictive to those listening. Maybe everyone here "should" be able to interpret score-only or NS playback - god knows there are many qualities I believe all composers "should" possess - the fact is not everyone can. Why should they be dismissed from the conversation? Quite aside from  composers like myself who can't read music, reading music and mentally hearing a score are not the same thing. You yourself do not supply scores so we're left unable to follow what we "should" be able to do regarding your work :)

The widest net is cast with a score AND a recording or quality mockup, unless it's felt that composers lacking the ability to read/mentally interpret score are less welcome? Not everyone can offer DAW mockups as you said, but it's no reason not to mention it. Speaking generally, no aspersions on Charles - thank you for your compliments btw! I look forward to hearing a live version if your friends cooperate. Perhaps you could multitrack the instruments you can play to start with? A bit jealous of  your instrument roster :)

davedexter.com

Bob Morabito said:

People listening should be able to "hear the music" in their heads regardless of what playback is used. This to me is more than adequate to critique the music--which is what your piece was posted for , and critique the quality of the recording when that is asked for.

The idea that each and every piece posted here must be at a certain polished very high level, is again quite unfortunate, when for whatever reason, as stated above, this is not done or able to be afforded by the composer. This also has, in the past, and also may be now  preventing people from posting their works.

Thanks--and to you and yours also, Dave.

And to all here!

Hi Charles,

I enjoyed this and especially liked your tight, disciplined control on the material. Is there a chance of a performance for this? If so, I hope you get it recorded because then we will get to hear the musics' true quality,  because as you know, wind instruments are very characterful with pronounced, distinctive timbres that will enhance this well written piece enormously.

mikehewer.com

I can't claim to have spent a ton of time reviewing your piece (who has the time?). The work is nice, but there is not much variation. While playing the piece on YouTube, I clicked random points in the timeline. Whatever had been playing before the click sounded pretty much like whatever played after the click with few exceptions.

So: any arbitrary page sounds great, but if there is a large scale structure, it was too subtle for me to detect.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service