Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

As the title says, my first attempt to write something (light) for harpsichord.

Any advice (positive advice) is welcome, of course.

Views: 407

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

HS-TO, What contradiction?  To me, i.e. IMO, the harpsichord died out just after the

TV shows The Addams Family and Benny Hill went off the air : >}

Similar to my 'opinion' that the fugue has seen better days.

Simply stated, I call it like I honestly see it, and try to be constructively positive.

Sure, some may disagree. I am one point of view and I do not presume to speak

for the whole of humanity. Even if I chose to play 'devils advocate' it is for the

purpose of enhancing the discussion or debate. Unfortunately this seems to lead to

name calling or some other focus that dodges the crux of the issue.

Thankfully, I will never be the honorary emeritus of the 'warm and fuzzy feeling' club.

So to my way of thinking, I offered Erwin 'constructive' advice.

I did not comment on the music itself, because it is what it is, a first attempt..

in a personal learning and experimental practice. Nothing wrong with that at all.

What could I constructively say about it? 'Keep trying and some day you may master it'?

To what end I ask you.

numero uno, I have no interest in reviving the harpsichord. (so sue me)

and  #2, I have no interest in leading Erwin to believe that it is a worthwhile pursuit.

Life is short... Why waste time time building bridges in the desert?  RS

ps- Bob, sorry if that is incomprehensible to you,but  it makes perfect sense to me

H. S. Teoh said:

Welcome to the club of self-contradiction.  Rumor has it they have bestowed on you honorary emeritus status. ;-D

roger stancill said:

Erwin, actually I listened to this to hear the creativity and inventiveness of

the music you wrote. The fact that you chose the harpsichord is secondary.

Most any score can be played on a variety of instruments.

To overlook the music, simply because it is played on a particular instrument

seems a bit unfair to the piece of music, similar to judging a book by it's cover. RS 

I don't know what to say anymore.

So first you barge in to a piece titled "my first harpsichord score" (emphasis mine) and tell Erwin basically that he should throw his work out the window, because the harpsichord is dead and nobody in his right mind should write anything for it anymore.

Then after being confronted, you claim that:

The fact that you chose the harpsichord is secondary. [...] To overlook the music, simply because it is played on a particular instrument seems a bit unfair to the piece of music, similar to judging a book by it's cover.

which is a direct contradiction of what you did.

And upon me pointing out your self-contradiction in half-jest, what you had to say was:

roger stancill said:

HS-TO, What contradiction? [...]

Simply stated, I call it like I honestly see it, and try to be constructively positive.

[...] So to my way of thinking, I offered Erwin 'constructive' advice.

[...]

So not only you denied contradicting yourself, but you also claim that your ripping Erwin a new one was "constructive advice".

With argument tactics like this, what chance does reason stand?

Roger, you win.

P.S. And please, if you wish to take me up on this "debate" (if it can even be called that), at least have the courtesy to spare Erwin the pain and start another "discussion" elsewhere.

Well, HS, thank you so much. People like Roger are the reason why I am so inactive at this forum.

I always ask specifically to only give constructive advise. Some people don't seem to care about anything else than themselves.

Roger, I will ask you politely to ignore from now on all my posts and replies, as I will do with you. Because you remind me too much of my ex-wife. Always right, no matter what. Get out of my thread, please. Thank you.

Erwin, my comment was constructive advise. Don't waste your time writing music for the harpsichord.

I guess only time will tell if in fact it was time well spent. One day, you will know. By then, you will be older

and have less time to write music that might gain an audience. That was the point Erwin.
 ps- HS- what contradiction? Erwin's piece could be played on a variety of other instruments.

I didn't dis the piece at all... only the choice of instruments.

pss- I did not deny contradicting myself, whether I did or did not... I ask you to tell me how and when I might have.
Erwin van Delft said:

Well, HS, thank you so much. People like Roger are the reason why I am so inactive at this forum.

I always ask specifically to only give constructive advise. Some people don't seem to care about anything else than themselves.

Roger, I will ask you politely to ignore from now on all my posts and replies, as I will do with you. Because you remind me too much of my ex-wife. Always right, no matter what. Get out of my thread, please. Thank you.

So nice of you, Roger, to decide when my time is wasted. When I am older? Man, you are babbling. You have no idea about me, you know nothing about me. And you tell me 'when I am older I have less time'?

You are simply not going to tell me what instruments I have to choose. If that is your point, get out of my thread. I hope you can understand that much. Or should I say F0ck off?

I'm wasting more time getting rid of you than I would like. So, get out of my thread, please, before I feel I have to block you. No, that is no threat. I don't need your negativity. Just get out of my thread. I hope I'm clear.

Erwin, stop being a dodo. It is not just you. Do I need to quote the wisdom of

Pink Floyd to make the point. lol ' Every day you are one day closer to death.' Get it?

Ergo, you have a finite amount of time to pursue your dreams... why waste it.  Get it?

My guess is that you don't get it and thus, my words are probably wasted.

There is nothing negative about my comments. Sorry if you can't comprehend the

perspective.

He's just a fucking asshole. He wins. I'm out of here.

Fucking dickhead.

I'll do my best. The point is I'm having enough negativity in my life and I don't need him around to give the final push. I'll try, thank you Dave.

There is a huge difference between criticism and trolling or being rude.

I'm closing this thread. I opened a new one for the revised score.

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service