Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi Everyone, after many months of getting to grips with the various software needed to compose this is my first finished short piece.  Please be so kind as to critique this in any helpful way or just comment, thanks, Kevin.

Views: 62

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kevin,

Congratulations on your first finished piece, and thanks for sharing it. I would say it sounds ok, but a couple of things did stand out to me which somewhat got in the way of my enjoyment - the bass is rather loud, and while I'm guessing this is what you were aiming for, it was so loud in spots that it felt to me like it overwhelmed everything else. Two - there is something going on in the very highest range with the piece that I couldn't quite make out - harmonics of some type? They seem like they are barely there, to the point where I wondered if they were unintentional (a score would help if you have one). Not saying they sounded wrong, just a little too low in volume to really make out. 

Hope that is useful to you,

Gav

Thanks for your critique Gay, you are the second one to say this about the bass being too loud and although it was intentional maybe you have got a point.  The violin is not as you say loud enough, I will remix and see if I like it more although I suspect I will. Very Useful indeed.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your music, Kevin. It's always a little nerve-racking to take that first step to put your creations out there. but we're a pretty friendly bunch here.

I can't hear what Gav is talking about with the harmonics, but that may be due to my ears having lost some of the high register.

As for the bass being too loud, I think this could be solved simply by marking it "p". You have an interesting approach here, having the harp as the primary interest. Setting it against strings is a good idea, but you need to keep in mind that the harp is a rather shy instrument, easily lost in thick textures. Of course, it could be brought to front of the stage, and the strings restrained adequately. Then you bring in some percussion, again an interesting idea. The harp has a nice ostinato feel to it which is very effective. 

I think your piece has real potential. I would work on bringing the harp more to the fore, with the strings more in the background. Perhaps a more open texture in the strings would also help (wider spacing, more room for the harp to come through).

Kevin,

Thanks for posting this. I think that you might consider remixing this as far as panning goes. Everything is on top of each other, and I can't make out what the instrument groups are. Maybe strings left and basses right. Other instruments in between. 

Hi Bob, yes I will give this a total makeover.  I have panned the instruments in VEP but not in logic, silly me. Thanks for you critique.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service