Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello all! 

Been a member on this forum for a few months and have watched from afar, but thought I would get involved and submit some of my own music for critique...

I am primarily a bassist playing all kinds of contemporary music, but with a secret desire to write for classically inclined musical theatre (something I studied a little in my final year of university). My attempts have so far only been heard by myself and a degree examiner, so any open and honest feedback would be welcomed.

This first piece is from a proposed chamber musical, rather gothic in nature, and would serve as an overture/introduction to the show. It is orchestrated for piano and string quartet, and would feature a male and female vocal (please excuse the keyboard vocal lines - no access to singers at present). I can supply lyrics and setting if anyone is interested.

Any feedback would be welcome - in particular comments on string voicing and playability/suitability for live vocals, as I am not a singer myself!

Many thanks for taking the time to read and (hopefully) listening,

Nathan

Views: 30

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice. Thanks for posting this. I enjoy the contemporary feel.

I think I would like to hear less piano and more string quartet. Better yet, chamber orchestra, pit band, or even rock band with orchestra backup. 

Other ways to participate on the forum are to comment on other composers' work. We all can at least say if we like something or not. 

Hey, thanks for listening!

Very good point. The reason for the orchestration was originally rooted in a business minded study (minimal musicians and space needed opens up more performance opportunities etc) but something I have struggled with is making the strings sound like they haven't been plonked on top of the piano, so definitely something to work on. I'm currently writing a version scored for a slightly bigger ensemble, so will post progress.

Absolutely, I look forward to engaging with all sorts of music on this site!

Best, 
Nathan

Nathan,

Don't skimp on arrangements. I've played in plenty of professional and amateur pit bands made up of a few keyboards( covering orchestra parts) and some brass, winds, drums and guitar. 

In my view, write good music and people will find a way to play it. 

Good point well made!

Cheers,
Nathan

Bob Porter said:

Nathan,

Don't skimp on arrangements. I've played in plenty of professional and amateur pit bands made up of a few keyboards( covering orchestra parts) and some brass, winds, drums and guitar. 

In my view, write good music and people will find a way to play it. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service