Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello

My names Alex Oliver Cawley, i've just joined and having a good time reading and checking out new pieces.

I am in the process of learning and recording some of my own piano pieces and I would welcome any comments/critiques.

First up is a piece entitled Zoetrope named after the early animation process. The piece is in C major and I tried to write something with a pretty straight forward tonality and use it as a introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6r_hxXU4-U  

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

EXTREMELY well done, and very enjoyable to listen to and watch also:)

Great job and thanks for sharing!

Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Very nice piece and performance.  Do you write out a score or a chord chart, or is it mostly improv.  You started in C maj. and went through some other keys.  Keep up the good work.

Good stuff Alex and +1 with Lawrences' question as it did feel a bit improvisatory, albeit in a worked out way ( that's not meant in the pejorative!) . Definitely has a good introductory feel to it, what form will the accompanying pieces take?

BTW, we all like to see scores posted too if possible, especially on the classical side of the spectrum. This will help you get a more focused feedback if you want it!...just a heads up for any future posts.

Thanks Bob

Glad you liked it and yes I agree the visuals definitely help.  

Bob Morabito said:

EXTREMELY well done, and very enjoyable to listen to and watch also:)

Great job and thanks for sharing!

Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Hi Mike

I might as well reply to you and Lawrence here. I do have a score but then as I learn the piece I did start to add or flex certain parts. It's built on a couple of themes that I then moved around and formed a progression out of. I'm almost glad it sound impromptu and I think being able to add or take away things as I am the one playing is always going to add a certain element of spontaneity but everything is planned and all the improvisation happened in the writing process. 

Good point about the scores I sort of forgot so will try to upload the score or certainly will for future pieces.

The rest of the pieces are going to be slightly more inline with my usual writing which is a little more dissonant than this piece. I really tried to write something really Major sounding.

Many thanks

Alex Oliver Cawley  

Mike Hewer said:

Good stuff Alex and +1 with Lawrences' question as it did feel a bit improvisatory, albeit in a worked out way ( that's not meant in the pejorative!) . Definitely has a good introductory feel to it, what form will the accompanying pieces take?

BTW, we all like to see scores posted too if possible, especially on the classical side of the spectrum. This will help you get a more focused feedback if you want it!...just a heads up for any future posts.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service