Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

It's scored for Picc, Flute, Bass Fl, Ob, Bass Ob, Clar, Bass Clar..........4 horns, 3 tpts, 2 trombones, bass trb, various percussion, coloratura, strings. 

It includes a high (coloratura) voice as an instrument. Wordless. (in case you don't like such things!)

However, if you can give it a listen please, many thanks and comments good or bad are always gratefully received.

Thank you.

PS. Apologies but because of the file size limit, the mp3 is at 128kb.

Views: 173

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dane,

I agree fully with most of the positive comments.

It is a brilliant work.

I wonder what you would write if you made 6 min in three movements of 2 min each.

Also, it seems to me the ending is not as strong as the beginning or the rest of the piece.

It may be a structural issue, you come up to the end with the same approach all the way.

So there is only the left option to cut it a way suddenly.

The orchestration, rendering, small nuances are gorgeous, to name a few.

All in all well done, awfully beautiful work.

Congratulations.

Ali

Note:  Any options to get it valued professionally?

Riveting.

Your music always causes me to psychoanalyze myself, lol. I shouldn't like this kind of music—the chopiness, the lack of clear melody, the polyrhythms—it's usually a "genre" I find appreciable at best, and repulsive at worst. Yet there is something about the way you do this that my psyche jives with. (I'm sure that's an acceptable phrase: a jiving psyche.)

It's wholesome, sonorous, meaningful. I feel like I'm witnessing a conversation among the instruments before the concert, as if they're simply talking amongst themselves about "that old fop, the conductor" or "the mile-high price of coffee at Good Ole Joe's." It's music for the everyman. And it's right darn good.

Hats off to you, sir. Hats off to you.

Hi, Ali,

Many thanks for listening and your valued comments particularly about the scoring over which I had some doubts.

Interesting, your mention of 3 x 2 minute pieces..... A set of pieces for a dance troupe I wrote is like that - 2 to 3 minute epsiodes - and your comment has made me wonder about how I structure these recent works. There is a loose structure but not around prolonged themes... and in a way you're right about how each piece ends. There's no "proper" cadence, here or in those other pieces. 

You've certainly given me something to think about.

Again, thank you and I'm pleased you liked it. I'll think about those endings.

All the best,

Dane

Ali Riza SARAL said:

Hi Dane,

I agree fully with most of the positive comments.

It is a brilliant work.

I wonder what you would write if you made 6 min in three movements of 2 min each.

Also, it seems to me the ending is not as strong as the beginning or the rest of the piece.

It may be a structural issue, you come up to the end with the same approach all the way.

So there is only the left option to cut it a way suddenly.

The orchestration, rendering, small nuances are gorgeous, to name a few.

All in all well done, awfully beautiful work.

Congratulations.

Ali

Note:  Any options to get it valued professionally?

Hi, Jörfi,

Many thanks for listening and your comments, much appreciated. I have to accept that the kind of writing I'm going through recently won't appeal to many so I'm glad this one made some kind of sense. I very much doubt that if I sent the score to our County orchestra the powers that be would perform it. It may be worth a try - but where they'd get a Jane Manning or Edda Moser from I wouldn't like to guess! 

Jiving psyche?! Ah, well.... good to hear. I think lockdown had a fair bit to do with this so the adventuring out was inner, if that makes sense! Classical psychedelia. 

But your comments are very flattering. And encouraging (although I promise that I'll keep the lid on this sort of music as best as I can)! 

Thank you kindly, sir!

Dane

Jörfi Terríson said:

Riveting.

Your music always causes me to psychoanalyze myself, lol. I shouldn't like this kind of music—the chopiness, the lack of clear melody, the polyrhythms—it's usually a "genre" I find appreciable at best, and repulsive at worst. Yet there is something about the way you do this that my psyche jives with. (I'm sure that's an acceptable phrase: a jiving psyche.)

It's wholesome, sonorous, meaningful. I feel like I'm witnessing a conversation among the instruments before the concert, as if they're simply talking amongst themselves about "that old fop, the conductor" or "the mile-high price of coffee at Good Ole Joe's." It's music for the everyman. And it's right darn good.

Hats off to you, sir. Hats off to you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service