Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

It's scored for Picc, Flute, Bass Fl, Ob, Bass Ob, Clar, Bass Clar..........4 horns, 3 tpts, 2 trombones, bass trb, various percussion, coloratura, strings. 

It includes a high (coloratura) voice as an instrument. Wordless. (in case you don't like such things!)

However, if you can give it a listen please, many thanks and comments good or bad are always gratefully received.

Thank you.

PS. Apologies but because of the file size limit, the mp3 is at 128kb.

Views: 173

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bravo!

I am pleasantly surprised. I liked it a lot. For my taste it has a fair balance between modernity and the possibility of being understood by the listener.
A great orchestration job with excellent timbres. The multiple melodic lines appear, disappear and intertwine in a very suggestive way. The dynamics very well worked, sometimes "forte" but well controlled. The articulations made in great detail. Very good dialogue between the voice and the other instruments.

One question: is it a real performance, with real orchestra and singer? My question is why you don't say anything about the interpreters. But it sounds too perfect to be a synthetic digital performance.

It's a great job !

Hi, Ramon,

Many thanks for listening and your most generous comments. (A music teacher friend called me a "post-modernist" or something. I wasn't sure whether I should feel good or bad about that! But I gather it means "just composing" as one will...eclectic, taking from the modern or classical, atonal or tonal at will.)

I hope it won't disappoint you but, no, this has been put together in a DAW with samples. It's true that I try to imagine how an orchestra would play and spend time on the articulations and expression. I doubt it will ever be performed live but there's a music group locally that plays recordings so it might get an airing, hence hoping for some degree or authenticity.  I can't imagine the County orchestra playing it sad to say.

Again, thank you. Much appreciated.

Dane.

This is real music Dane....I think we have to make you famous. Amazing Work and so beautiful.

The dialogue between the vocalist and the orchestra is done remarkably.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Dane, you said:

A music teacher friend called me a "post-modernist" or something. I wasn't sure whether I should feel good or bad about that! But I gather it means "just composing" as one will...eclectic, taking from the modern or classical, atonal or tonal at will.

Definitely good. Yes, I have the impression that your music is modern but on the other hand, contains certain links to the romantic era which it never neglects For me, there is also some Bartok in this. Nice.

And many thanks to you, for listening and your generous comments. Much appreciated.

I feel much the same about your work and wonder if you have a selection put together.

Most encouraging and pleasing that it made sense to you.

Cheers, Dane.

Saul Gefen said:

This is real music Dane....I think we have to make you famous. Amazing Work and so beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you indeed for your kind comments and listening. No surprise about reaching back to the romantic in a way. I was/am a great fan of Bruckner and remember being transfixed by his 9th Symphony, 'washed away' by the first movement so I listened on. These days it's more about having time to listen to Bruckner. His pieces are big.

Although of course, I'd never try to rank myself against Bruckner or Bartok. 

So I'm obviously pleased it made sense to you and thank you for your encouragement.

Bests, Dane

Jan-Frederik Carl said:

Hi Dane, you said:

A music teacher friend called me a "post-modernist" or something. I wasn't sure whether I should feel good or bad about that! But I gather it means "just composing" as one will...eclectic, taking from the modern or classical, atonal or tonal at will.

Definitely good. Yes, I have the impression that your music is modern but on the other hand, contains certain links to the romantic era which it never neglects For me, there is also some Bartok in this. Nice.

Excellent piece, Dane. I wonder where you get all your ideas from. What is your source of inspiration?

This music is new to me, although it reminds me of some dark film music with cultural value. By that I certainly do not call it a soundtrack, but it is sort of narrative and it was exciting to follow the story. Many events were passing by. And the choice of vocal here is brilliant.

Thank you for a pleasant listening.

Kjell

Could you use a sound cloud page as you seem to run into problems with the uppload limit here frequently.

Yes, I have a Soundcloud page but I'm always watching how many minutes' play I have left. I'm also aware of what happened to photobucket and wonder when the same will happen with soundcloud. I had a couple of big works on it recently.

Another wonderful piece here Dane, I've listened twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. You have a great concept of orchestral interaction and combinations and a seemingly endless source of ideas that makes this fascinating. The vocal is a nice addition and I think at many points lyrics would probably just get in the way of the melodic expression so I don't miss them at all. I usually can't understand lyrics and even when I do they don't always add anything.

At several points I heard a phrase or instrument combination that I really wanted to hear more of, a longer phrase or held note at least. I understand that you prefer short phrases and they are quite effective so I am not saying this as a criticism at all; I just thought I should tell you that.  Of course the old show biz saying is "Always leave them wanting more!"

Hi Ingo,

Sincere thanks for listening and your much appreciated comments.

I feel roughly the same about lyrics and vocal lines, probably from an occasional fascination with opera (which also explains the coloratura!) and just listening without worrying too much about the libretto. (Although it's nice to have some idea of the plot.) My favourites are Donizetti and Rossini.

I'd need to know the timing that the piece you refer to happens at. But I can't expect to put anyone through listening to it again. Perhaps I should try to put up a short score at least. The piece runs to about 26 staves which, the way my daw produces a pdf, would spread each score page over 3 pdf pages, just a nuisance to read. I'll one day fulfil my promise to get Dorico or something.... 

But again, thank you. I'm glad it made some sense at least!

Keep well. Bests, 

Dane.

Thanks!

Dane Aubrun said:

And many thanks to you, for listening and your generous comments. Much appreciated.

I feel much the same about your work and wonder if you have a selection put together.

Most encouraging and pleasing that it made sense to you.

Cheers, Dane.

Saul Gefen said:

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service