Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello,

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question.

I am a roboticist and am interested producing sounds or very short pieces of music that would be emitted by a social robot and that people would perceive as emotions; sadness, happiness, irritation, anger etc. 

The sounds could be very simple and maybe only one or two notes.

Ideally I would like the sounds to be dynamically generated by the robot according to circumstances so that they would sound more or less unique. This may be possible by encapsulating parameters that can be varied rather than by specific notes. For example, a sound could be defined by speed (tempo), range, pitch and continuity.

Any suggestions for expressing emotions in musical sounds?

Regards,

Rupert

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As in R2D2?

Yep, something like R2D2. Any idea how to generate similar sounds?

I am a roboticist and am interested producing sounds or very short pieces of music that would be emitted by a social robot and that people would perceive as emotions; sadness, happiness, irritation, anger etc. 

The sounds could be very simple and maybe only one or two notes.

I hope Im understanding correctly--pls see the following search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=emotions+of+musical+chords+interval...

and for example, on the emotional effect of intervals:

https://howmusicreallyworks.com/Pages_Chapter_4/4_4.html

To sound these a simple program that uses general midi sounds would suffice, or a pre programmed sound card could be used

I note I dont wholly agree with all of these pairings and those found other places, but I hope its what you were looking for.

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Bob,
That list is as good as it gets for Artificial Intelligence which of course can never understand the meaning of music to humans.

Hi Ray--

Thanks--and the question, as I understood it---

was the opposite of how you took it..

i e, not how a robot can "understand the meaning of music to humans", but how humans could understand musical utterances by a robot as representing the robot's 'emotions'. ..hence my prior reply.

Im sure the OP will clarify, as again I wasnt sure I fully understood the post.

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Maybe I don't understand why humans should expect emotion from a machine. Perhaps I haven't watch enough film fantasy.
Perhaps I consider that if logic controlled everything the human race would already have come and gone.

Bob Morabito said:

Hi Ray--

Thanks--and the question, as I understood it---

was the opposite of how you took it..

i e, not how a robot can "understand the meaning of music to humans", but how humans could understand musical utterances by a robot as representing the robot's 'emotions'. ..hence my prior reply.

Im sure the OP will clarify, as again I wasnt sure I fully understood the post.

Yes, that's right. Your links look very useful I will follow them up. Thanks.

Ray said:
http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/music-as-emotions-for-robots?commentId=773368%3AComment%3A473907&xg_source=msg_com_forum#commentId=773368%3AComment%3A473907&xg_source=msg_com_forum#773368Comment474144">
Maybe I don't understand why humans should expect emotion from a machine.

Hi Ray,
Social robots are likely to be more effective if people perceive emotions from them, rather them just being seen as 'robotic'. These sorts of robots could be of use in health scenarios for social care of the elderly and interaction with children with autism, for example.

Regards,
Rupert

hi Rupert,

Advertising music has conditioned us to quick and easy emotive signifiers. A bright idea or a thought process that 'sees the light' for example, is usually denoted with a synthy choir sound in a high-ish  tessitura playing a 3 note major chord.

Cartoon music from the 1930's cf has also instigated a rich seam of interval/emotion correlation. For example the 2 notes of a tritone played consecutively starting with the higher of the 2 can be used to denote a punch line in a joke or a comedic event. Likewise a dim7th chord has been used since music was first played in sync with film to denote suspense.

Perhaps you may find some answers listening to Carl Stallings' music for Warner Brothers or hunting down some sheet music used by pianists who used to improvise to the silent screen....just a few thoughts.

Rupert Young said:

Hi Ray,
Social robots are likely to be more effective if people perceive emotions from them, rather them just being seen as 'robotic'. These sorts of robots could be of use in health scenarios for social care of the elderly and interaction with children with autism, for example.

Regards,
Rupert
Rupert,
I could start by saying, nothing in this world fills me with dread more than 'social' robots but, at my age and life expectancy I'm not really that bothered for future generations. I'd be far happier if more research was going into the basis for the term 'gut feeling'. Seemingly illogical yet with relatively recent research more interesting than creating a synthetic race that can never understand our stupidity.
I absolutely understand the usefulness of robotics but 'social' ?
On the issue of social care, how many folks on the interweb think that by being members of various social media sites including this one, they are part of a community yet they don't know or care who else lives in their street? Without REAL community I see little advantage in palming off the aged with AI.

Ray

Hello,

I am getting down to look at this now and had a few questions.

Wikipedia says a chord with A and C is a minor third. Is anything with an interval of 3 semitones a minor third? For example, is Eflat and C a minor third?

What chords should I have for a two sound representation of sadness and happiness? See attached files for an idea of what I am trying to reproduce.

Can I replace the chords by single notes? Which ones?

Regards,

Rupert

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service