Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi colleagues, 

What do you think of using new modern technologies like AI in the creative process?

I have found couple of companies providing some AI powered services. Some of those I found are Music Builder ( https://www.themusicbuilder.com/), AIVA Music Engine ( https://www.aiva.ai/engine), Orb Composer (https://www.orb-composer.com/) etc.

Do you think such softwares are ever gonna be as popular and commonly used as the libraries or the DAWs? I have been hearing about AI and Music more and more recently and seems like it is kinda getting everywhere. 

Looking forward to more insights. 

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi All

I liked Timothy's line: "Technology is both our greatest enabler and  our greatest foe all rolled into one. You can do anything with music, So can everyone else."

I've spent most of my working life in academia (in computer science) as both a researcher and teacher with a strong interest in music technology and music. About 15 years ago I had a student working on a project titled "We're All Musicians Now". This is even more true today. A few years ago I taught a first year undergrad course on music tech for non-music students and even using only Garageband and Apple's Jam Packs I got surprisingly good results - some were very good indeed.

Colin

Hi guys! Happy New Year! 
I just got an email from AI Software called AIVA to notify me that I was selected as an early beta tester. 

Was just wondering if anyone else got a similar email or signed up for their beta? If any of you gonna be testing too we can share insights here as well. 

Apparently I am going to try out their software and will keep you updated how it goes and wether it is useless or useful. 

Hi Ashley -  I haven't interacted with AIVA so I'm not on their radar but I am interested so when I have time I'll check their website out.  In the mean time I'm sure we are all interested to hear about your use of the software.  Some of us with skepticism of course! :)

Ashley Berg said:

Hi guys! Happy New Year! 
I just got an email from AI Software called AIVA to notify me that I was selected as an early beta tester. 

Was just wondering if anyone else got a similar email or signed up for their beta? If any of you gonna be testing too we can share insights here as well. 

Apparently I am going to try out their software and will keep you updated how it goes and wether it is useless or useful. 

Hi guys! As promised, here I am sharing my first experience  with an AI called AIVA as promised. new_composition__1.mp3

I had my first trial yesterday and composed couple of tracks. This specific one that I shared, I have selected "Sea Shanty" as  the preset style and it took less than a minute to create this piece. And the result is rendered with the Music Engine’s built in virtual instruments. 

What do you think?

I must say that the platform was pretty simple to use and was very straight forward. 

Hi

it's ok but not especially memorable but I guess when you use it to its ful potential it will deliver better results. I think you can better results just as quickly with Garage Band and the Jam Pack loops.

What I would say is that composing with Aviva and similar "instant" orchestra vst isn't - in my opinion at least - as much fun as doing it with notation software.

Look forward to hearing more as you get more into it.

Thanks, Colin

Hi Colin, 

Thank you for your comment. 

It is really interesting to see your point. 

I will have more free time this weekend to play around with it and will let you know the results.

A few years ago some programmer wrote software in which he put all the idioms of a particular composer. I forget who. He then had the computer write a piece. It sounded enough like the composers own music that even some experts couldn't tell the difference. 

Quicker and easier seem to be the goals of our age. But quicker and easier do not equate to better. Seems to me that if you're in a time crunch and have to rely on an AI crutch to finish, then the work is not yours anymore. 

When the creator isn't in the creation process doesn't that pretty much nullify everything concerning creativity?

These are good questions certainly.  Life is getting more and more complicated because of technology, and our legal and moral systems are unable to keep up.

I see AI as a collaborator.  A collaborator is entitled to credit and compensation according to whatever agreement is in place when the piece is published.  Of course there is a long history of disputes and much legal machinery associated with how this type of agreement is used (or abused ), but that's just part of the business we're in here.

The larger issue I see is that every piece I post here (not much lately, but still )  is made possible by hardware, software, communications infrastructure and creative input by many other people who I really should credit also.

Hi Ashley, thanks for keeping us posted here. The piece is good but the samples are just ok.  Can you share how this piece was created?  Did you supply a theme or just choose from a list of parameters like key and tempo? It sounds like theme and variations, did you choose that form or did the software?  Could you take a midi track version and edit the results and then orchestrate it with a different sample set? I should research this for myself of course but perhaps others are interested too.

Ashley Berg said:

Hi guys! As promised, here I am sharing my first experience  with an AI called AIVA as promised. new_composition__1.mp3

I had my first trial yesterday and composed couple of tracks. This specific one that I shared, I have selected "Sea Shanty" as  the preset style and it took less than a minute to create this piece. And the result is rendered with the Music Engine’s built in virtual instruments. 

What do you think?

I must say that the platform was pretty simple to use and was very straight forward. 

Hi Ingo, 

Actually I just selected the Preset style and it came up with this piece. It was really quick. When I downloaded it was mp3 file and a midi file and I can take the midi file to my DAW to edit it however I want. Also, after composing the piece on their platform I could just play it to see if I liked or no (it was not necessary to download to be able to listen to). Also, I can click to the piano roll on the platform. I think if you want to try the platform just email them and tell them you want to try their beta. This is how I got the access as well. And when you log in you will see how it works. Pretty simple and user friendly so far to me. 

Also, I have seen in some video that you could upload your own midi and the platform will compose something original influenced by it. I could not find this feature so I contacted them (though the chatbox on their website) and they told me because it was the very early version I could not use the upload midi function just yet but it will be available later. (I think this feature may help when I get a temp track from a client, just guessing tho as I may need to try it first to find out how useful it could be ).  

Ingo Lee said:

Hi Ashley, thanks for keeping us posted here. The piece is good but the samples are just ok.  Can you share how this piece was created?  Did you supply a theme or just choose from a list of parameters like key and tempo? It sounds like theme and variations, did you choose that form or did the software?  Could you take a midi track version and edit the results and then orchestrate it with a different sample set? I should research this for myself of course but perhaps others are interested too.

Ashley Berg said:

What do you think?

It is an interesting point.

I am also having mixed feelings and opinions around this. And I am just trying to find out and try what's out there to be able to shape my final opinion and also the feelings around all this. 

But for now, what I think is that for my own or personal music I will not want to use anything to help me compose, and I will just spend hours and hours of figuring out and finding out etc.. But when I have a tight deadline and have to compose smth for a brand not even in the style I like but what the client wants, why not using some help instead of being stuck in writer's block for days? 

Of course I may change my opinion after I have enough research and experience with the modern technologies. 

Timothy Smith said:

When the creator isn't in the creation process doesn't that pretty much nullify everything concerning creativity?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service