Music Composers Unite!

Views: 218

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hopefully you can open tis

Attachments:

also "this"

Very lovely Paul. I could hear faint echoes of Faure and even Mahler in there, but not in a way that detracts from your piece.
I personally would have liked a contrast to the constant lyricism, perhaps leading to a more pronounced climax, but that is just another composers' thought and you know what we are like :-)
Nice to hear a live recording too, one that gave the music the emotional rendering it deserves.

As with some of your other pieces the melodic lines just flow.

Noticed that there a number of places where one of the violins has a rest in the line but they both seem to finish or carry on together anyway.

Would also like to see the 'cello with more of the lyrical line.

Cheers

Mike L

Thanks Mike glad you liked it. This is a middle movement so Ive got most of the contrast between movements rather than within ... I was however quite tempted for a while to make a contrasting section in the middle but decided against it for better or worse!
Mike Hewer said:

Very lovely Paul. I could hear faint echoes of Faure and even Mahler in there, but not in a way that detracts from your piece.
I personally would have liked a contrast to the constant lyricism, perhaps leading to a more pronounced climax, but that is just another composers' thought and you know what we are like :-)
Nice to hear a live recording too, one that gave the music the emotional rendering it deserves.

Hi Michael , thanks for the comments. Theres a few errors in the recording that shouldnt be there...

I tried giving the cello a bit more in a couple other places but I didnt really like the result.... but yes more cello melody would be good..

Michael Lofting said:

As with some of your other pieces the melodic lines just flow.

Noticed that there a number of places where one of the violins has a rest in the line but they both seem to finish or carry on together anyway.

Would also like to see the 'cello with more of the lyrical line.

Cheers

Mike L

Lovely!

I felt it was a little on the long side, but then that's just my personal bias towards being more concise. :-) OTOH, though, I am utterly in awe at your mastery of lyricism and melodic lines, something I still struggle with.

I did like the climax you had around m.110 or so (sorry don't recall the exact bars), it didn't completely dispense with the lyricism but it was clearly a dynamic and melodic peak. There is plenty of contrast to go around this long-ish movement, somewhat subtle as they are all couched in the prevailing lyricism but they are certainly there and IMO do a decent job at keeping the music going.

Anyway, it's good to see you around again.  I remember listening to your other pieces / movements some time ago and quite enjoying your quartet writing, particularly your lyricism.  Maybe you'll serve as a good counterpoint (har har) to the anti-fugue sentiment that's been going around lately. ;-)

Thanks HS glad you liked it. Yes its one of my longest movements and definitely runs the risk of losing listeners! Yes around 110 builds to a mid movement climax and hopefully the semitone  keychange from d# minor to e minor  just before gives a feeling of unease there...

Actually i was unaware of anti fugue sentiment - Ill get em!! lol which threads r they on?
H. S. Teoh said:

Lovely!

I felt it was a little on the long side, but then that's just my personal bias towards being more concise. :-) OTOH, though, I am utterly in awe at your mastery of lyricism and melodic lines, something I still struggle with.

I did like the climax you had around m.110 or so (sorry don't recall the exact bars), it didn't completely dispense with the lyricism but it was clearly a dynamic and melodic peak. There is plenty of contrast to go around this long-ish movement, somewhat subtle as they are all couched in the prevailing lyricism but they are certainly there and IMO do a decent job at keeping the music going.

Anyway, it's good to see you around again.  I remember listening to your other pieces / movements some time ago and quite enjoying your quartet writing, particularly your lyricism.  Maybe you'll serve as a good counterpoint (har har) to the anti-fugue sentiment that's been going around lately. ;-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service