Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A short new melancholic work I composed for piano throughout the last month. Inspired by sad slow movements of my favorite composers. Listen to this on a rainy day or when it's late night with you reading. Recorded on a Fazioli piano in Chicago.

Hi

Nice work, enjoyed listening to it. You should give it a proper title.

Thanks, Colin

A nice polished piece, but I found myself wishing for more variety.  I wonder if moving the right hand up an octave in some sections would help.

Thanks you for the kind words :)

Colin Dougall said:

Hi

Nice work, enjoyed listening to it. You should give it a proper title.

Thanks, Colin

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the help :)

Jon Corelis said:

A nice polished piece, but I found myself wishing for more variety.  I wonder if moving the right hand up an octave in some sections would help.

Well, it is good - and has hints of the "Raindrop Prelude" about it. Quite in contrast to your winning String Quartet you recently posted. Presumably you're playing this piece too. It came across as a berceuse. 

Interesting - your comment about playing it late at night (for its melancholic mood). I have a set of pieces reserved for just that all in a similar vein including Chopin's posthumous Mazurka in F minor (played probably too slow for a Mazurka but still). A big atrium, subdued lighting, someone looking on from a staircase just absorbing the atmosphere....

Another beautiful piece! I love the way the main theme weaves in and out through the piece. I also love that you kept the chords and melody closely clustered in the middle of the keyboard. This helped the overall dark mood. You could have just as easily spread out the melody into the higher octaves but you didn’t, and that was a good decision on your part. I too love melancholy music and this one hits the spot! Very, very nice composition! It must have felt great composing it and it must feel equally great playing it as if all your atoms are vibrating in perfect harmony. This is serious music. Well done!

Yeah I totally agree with your comment! Thanks for listening :)

Dane Aubrun said:

Well, it is good - and has hints of the "Raindrop Prelude" about it. Quite in contrast to your winning String Quartet you recently posted. Presumably you're playing this piece too. It came across as a berceuse. 

Interesting - your comment about playing it late at night (for its melancholic mood). I have a set of pieces reserved for just that all in a similar vein including Chopin's posthumous Mazurka in F minor (played probably too slow for a Mazurka but still). A big atrium, subdued lighting, someone looking on from a staircase just absorbing the atmosphere....

Glad you liked this as well Rick! It was a great time writing this one :D

Rick said:

Another beautiful piece! I love the way the main theme weaves in and out through the piece. I also love that you kept the chords and melody closely clustered in the middle of the keyboard. This helped the overall dark mood. You could have just as easily spread out the melody into the higher octaves but you didn’t, and that was a good decision on your part. I too love melancholy music and this one hits the spot! Very, very nice composition! It must have felt great composing it and it must feel equally great playing it as if all your atoms are vibrating in perfect harmony. This is serious music. Well done!

Quite a pretty piece, most enjoyable and emotional. It inspires me.

Maybe it could benefit somewhat from some tempo or rhythm change somewhere in the middle, just my personal feeling of course.

Cheers,

Kjell

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service