Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I've just finished this little piece. I hope you'll find it an enjoyable listen.

Views: 656

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Ingo,

Thank you for your comments. If you take a closer look at the piece and also the genre as a whole, you will realise why all those triplets are there.

Joseph,

Your comments were very interesting. I really don't think the analogy with enthropy and enthalpy is the right way to go about it. Drawing from rhetoric instead, the reason why you can start with a fugal texture and move on to a more mazurkal texture but not the other way around is precisely because the fugal exposition is so specific to the texture. If you did it the other way, you'd either have to come in half-way in a fugue, where the risk is that the fugal texture loses its signifying power, or you'd introduce the fugal texture with an exposition, in effect dividing the piece into two: a non-fugal section and a fugal section. Furthermore, it's not so much that old music 'speaks' to us, but that we continue to construct meanings around old music that will have been very different from that of old music's contemporaneous witnesses. But I concur with your sentiments on the whole.

Hi Nate,

For me, the title confused my ears. On first listening, i was thinking -for the first section  - i don't hear anything resembling a Mazurka.. the mark of the accented second beat, etc .. (w/all that polyphony..) …but then yes, it is revealed in the 2nd half.  I liked each section (especially the 2nd half) - but for me, i'm not (yet ) convinced them working as a diptych…  I do appreciate your care in the writing. 

Also, I think you bring up a very important point, (and one that is part of my thinking as well) and is excellently articulated:

"Furthermore, it's not so much that old music 'speaks' to us, but that we continue to construct meanings around old music that will have been very different from that of old music's contemporaneous witnesses." 

Thanks for posting.

gregorio

Hey Gregorio,

Thank you for your comments. The entirety of the piece was conceived of as a fugue, and you're quite right that the mazurka is revealed by the second half - the subject contains many hallmarks of a mazurka melody (triplets, contour stresses on the 2nd beat highlighted by the semiquaver anticipation etc.), and all that needs to be filled in is the texture.

Hi Nate, I understand that triplets are used in Chopin's mazurkas and they certainly work fine in your piece.  I was just suggesting alternating triplets with an occasional ornament as Chopin sometimes does, just a suggestion. 

Nate Fain said:

Ingo,

Thank you for your comments. If you take a closer look at the piece and also the genre as a whole, you will realise why all those triplets are there.

This thread is not the right place for this Dave. This is the only time I will reply to you within a thread so if you continue on this line you know beforehand I will not respond. What I will do is I will go to the "Main Room" chat window and reproduce there my exact quote taken from my chat with Tyler which you mention lest there be any question that I said what you claim I said. 

Dave Dexter said:

Got to say that this seems very different to the chat you had with Tyler, where you (both actually) seemed unhappy with young composers working in baroque styles and felt they should be doing something else. There was a "they know not what they do, poor misguided things" fug in the virtual air. I didn't screencap it or anything, but that seemed to be the gist. Oh, you also had another sideswipe at me and my poop mouth and blamed me for scaring off the women - again - not that you actually mentioned my name, or indeed offered stats to support such a claim.

Joseph Harry said:

Nate, Even though I made reference to historical time periods in my previous posts I don't endorse the concept of styles being dated. Much on the contrary I believe music - and art in general - can transcend time and can do so with huge power to speak to us in the present. Much changes over time but a whole lot doesn't. I view different music epochs as adding to a great pool of art that is all of it relevant in the present.

Nate, just ignore the 'intellectual buffoons' and their snide self centered comments.

They have nothing constructive to offer or say, and delight in personal attacks and criticism.

Their overview is only meant to bolster their own infantile egos.

This is well demostrated by the 'ha gotcha' comments.

You've written a good piece of music- and while helpful minded people may

offer suggestions, in the end, it's your baby.

There are three kinds of criticism,  constructive, destructive and the other one.    RS

Thanks, Roger, but apart from one thread derailer the other commenters have been very civil and helpful ..?

Nate, it's been my experience that you really aren't going to get much help here.

but that also depends on what you ask for (post heading)

Maybe in some of the smaller groups, but not from the 'main' page.

This seems to be the nature of the internet.

That is just my opinion and observation.

There are a few here that really do try to help and mean nothing but the best.

Even if they( me) are not the best qualified.

I know that ANY feedback is at least 'something' to help gain a better perspective

on your effort, and it doe's matter. It's a shame that more don't participate here,

and I wonder if it's because they feel intimidated by the bullies and the judgemental

know-it alls who , like egotistical vultures, swoop in and attempt to empower themselves,

as opposed to offering something heartfelt and helpful. (and some wonder why no females

participate)   duh     How many female gladiators have you ever heard of     lol       OK Xena

To sum up, believe in yourself and pursue your dream       RS

If the shoe fits......... I mentioned no names

Dave Dexter said:

You seem to be delighting in personal attacks and criticism, Stancill.

roger stancill said:

Nate, just ignore the 'intellectual buffoons' and their snide self centered comments.

They have nothing constructive to offer or say, and delight in personal attacks and criticism.

Their overview is only meant to bolster their own infantile egos.

This is well demostrated by the 'ha gotcha' comments.

hmm,   birds of a feather? Thanks for proving my point

Kristofer Kerchiefklutsch Emerig said:

...meanwhile, I stand ready with my kerchief in hand..

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service