Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Is anyone doing any long form rock (progress rock) these days. I’ve been seriously considering it. What do you see as advantages and/or disadvantages?

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

Forgive my ignorance, what's long form (progress) rock?

Cheers, CD

Hi Steven,

I write music for solo piano, and some of it is prog-influenced. One such piece is called "Promise," and it's in the list of recent postings in the Music Analysis and Critique forum, if you want to get a sample. Not sure when you mean by advantages/disadvantages, can you elaborate?

Best,

Gav

Progressive or Art Rock by groups such as Yes, Genesis and King Crimson were an influence on me in my youth (giving away my age here). There may be bands doing this kind of music now, but they're not well known or you wouldn't be asking the question. Feel free to write something, record it and post it here. I'd love to hear it.

Hi Steven B and Steve C -

I'm not really a fan of progressive rock but here are a couple of examples of bands that are very popular today.

I'm thinking in terms of Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons, etc.  They created more what I would call "pieces" than songs.  Almost a classical approach to composition but in a rock style.

Colin Dougall said:

Hi

Forgive my ignorance, what's long form (progress) rock?

Cheers, CD

Cool!  I'll check it out.  Thanks!

Gav Brown said:

Hi Steven,

I write music for solo piano, and some of it is prog-influenced. One such piece is called "Promise," and it's in the list of recent postings in the Music Analysis and Critique forum, if you want to get a sample. Not sure when you mean by advantages/disadvantages, can you elaborate?

Best,

Gav

Awesome examples!  Thanks!

Ingo Lee said:

Hi Steven B and Steve C -

I'm not really a fan of progressive rock but here are a couple of examples of bands that are very popular today.

Steven, do you have anything you can share with us - either in long-form rock or another style?

-Gav

I love prog, always have. Yes was a huge influence on my musical life.

There is a huge amount of prog being written and performed now. A lot of it is more metal influenced than it used to be, bands like Kamelot. Then there are bands a bit more like the old Genesis, like Big Big Train. Lots of young, crazy guitar players like Owane, Plini and Angel Vivaldi doing very prog work now.

The pros are that it's interesting, intricate music that is fun to compose and play. Hard part is it would be tough to make sound good solely by midi, and finding musicians with the ability to play that well is not easy. Then there's the whole issue  without have to learn and play the pieces. Lastly, getting practice space for what is very loud electric music, (drums, bass, screaming guitar,) is tough. If you're thinking about selling your music to bands, most write their own material.

I have tried to listen to today's version of Prog and so far it leaves me cold - think Spock's Beard. Just loud and fast and hard to follow, even for a long-time aficionado, and not much memorable about it.

Today's version of prog doesn't encapsulate one thing, though. These tracks by Steven Wilson mine the prog seam for unconventional instrumentation, themes, rhythms etc, whilst using them to be fairly "straight" (and beautiful, to my ears). No loud and fast stuff for the sake of it. I've probably posted them before, but meh.

Gav Brown said:

I have tried to listen to today's version of Prog and so far it leaves me cold - think Spock's Beard. Just loud and fast and hard to follow, even for a long-time aficionado, and not much memorable about it.

Thanks Dave, nice works!

Gav

Reply to Discussion

RSS

donate

© 2017   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service