Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

My ambition with Inertia was to make it lively and rhythmic. It has a counterpoint characteristic and reminds me of the scherzo form. There is a fugue in the end of the piece and like the scherzo it ends with something more.

It is not really meant to be classical but more like post-modern, like most of my music.

Inertia is an interesting expression, not reserved for the Physics science but means something that lags, something that do not keep up with changes. It felt like a proper title.

https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/inertia

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kjell,

you have really a talent to compose music that one can listen to forever. It is so soothing you never want it to stop. I have only one small issue: the title. To my mind, the whole piece carries a certain feeling of restlessness which is only interrupted by short points of rest. You also seem to support this view when you say "my ambition .. was to make it lively ..." But maybe our understanding of inertia is different here.

Greetings,
Jan

Thank you very much, Timothy. Glad you enjoyed it.

Kjell

Timothy Smith said:

I thought this was very well made. Enjoyed the listening experience.

Thank you Jan-Frederik for your warm and inspiring words.

Inertia is one of those words where the physics science influences the general language. I like that very much. I try here to also include it in the musical terminology. I think Ali might have a clue here. Ritardando and accelerando are the accelerations of music where inertia maybe could be felt.

Jan-Frederik Carl said:

Hi Kjell,

you have really a talent to compose music that one can listen to forever. It is so soothing you never want it to stop. I have only one small issue: the title. To my mind, the whole piece carries a certain feeling of restlessness which is only interrupted by short points of rest. You also seem to support this view when you say "my ambition .. was to make it lively ..." But maybe our understanding of inertia is different here.

Greetings,
Jan

Wow, what an effort you have made here, Jörfi. I appreciate that greatly. I have read your comment, or rather story, several times and it is such an experience to read about your impressions. I think your review is more impressive than the music, that you are able to hear instrumentation, harmonies, themes and variations immediately and at the same write about it.

It is worth a lot to me.

Thank you.

Kjell

Jörfi Terríson said:

Howdy, Kjell! This is my type-as-I-listen review of your piece. The title is intriguing, so I can't wait to give it a listen. Let's get to it...

I like the academic statement by the strings at the very outset, classy and refined, yet moving. Ah, the chromatic drops @1:00 are quite satisfying! I hear a clicking sound @1:35—is that an artifact, or actually part of the piece? The ritardando @2:00 is a grand transition to this middle theme, which I'm loving. The interplay of the bassoon and strings @2:45 as the main theme returns is nice. And now we've crescendoed back into our opening theme. I like the movement of this piece, as the title implies.

The entry of the clarinet @4:20 and restatement of the middle theme is quite touching. I find the unaccompanied strings @5:00 very refreshing. Oh, the harp is a nice surprise @6:00! And now the strings soar above the melody in triplets as the piece slows to stop.

I think your use of cresc. and dim. is handled masterfully here. It gives the piece an organic flow to it; there was never a jarring moment. I also appreciate the fresh use of traditional harmonies. I don't really have any critiques here. Perhaps it could use a little more variation to avoid some of the repetition, but it might end up altering the nice flow you have going.

Great job, Kjell! I look forward to hearing more of your stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Yes I do like the counterpoint here Kjell, you've handled it well which is not easy to do. Your orchestration and dynamics are effective as well.  Your piece seems to sometimes cross over between classical and romantic in the effect which makes an interesting blend to my ear at least. Thanks for posting.

I appreciate the kind words about my review. However, the only way I'm able to review and comment at the same time is if the composer is talented enough to write good, well-developed music. :) It's more a testament to your skill as a tunesmith than my slapping a few words on a forum.

Keep up the good work!

Kjell Prytz said:

Wow, what an effort you have made here, Jörfi. I appreciate that greatly. I have read your comment, or rather story, several times and it is such an experience to read about your impressions. I think your review is more impressive than the music, that you are able to hear instrumentation, harmonies, themes and variations immediately and at the same write about it.

It is worth a lot to me.

Thank you.

Kjell

Jörfi Terríson said:

Howdy, Kjell! This is my type-as-I-listen review of your piece. The title is intriguing, so I can't wait to give it a listen. Let's get to it...

I like the academic statement by the strings at the very outset, classy and refined, yet moving. Ah, the chromatic drops @1:00 are quite satisfying! I hear a clicking sound @1:35—is that an artifact, or actually part of the piece? The ritardando @2:00 is a grand transition to this middle theme, which I'm loving. The interplay of the bassoon and strings @2:45 as the main theme returns is nice. And now we've crescendoed back into our opening theme. I like the movement of this piece, as the title implies.

The entry of the clarinet @4:20 and restatement of the middle theme is quite touching. I find the unaccompanied strings @5:00 very refreshing. Oh, the harp is a nice surprise @6:00! And now the strings soar above the melody in triplets as the piece slows to stop.

I think your use of cresc. and dim. is handled masterfully here. It gives the piece an organic flow to it; there was never a jarring moment. I also appreciate the fresh use of traditional harmonies. I don't really have any critiques here. Perhaps it could use a little more variation to avoid some of the repetition, but it might end up altering the nice flow you have going.

Great job, Kjell! I look forward to hearing more of your stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service