Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I thought it might be interesting to write a 'group piece" - where we all write a variation on a theme presented.

Regarding the theme:  Anyone can submit a theme as the subject.  I think it should be at least 16 bars long.  It should start on any beat of the measure except the first.. If it is sensed as an upbeat, the next measure would be considered the first of the next 16 written.  It can be in any time signature. There should be no indication of key signature, so that there is not an immediate harmonic bias  - (at least at first glance).  There should be no tempo or dynamic indications...

Once the theme is chosen (by vote), we can get started with the variations to that theme.  

Regarding the Variations:   if one wanted to employ various devices to the theme- inverted, or retrograde, --etc.  that can be allowed.  Mostly, i would say, work with the shape of the theme  as you would with any raw material…  Also - the melodic line can be transposed anywhere.  Passing tones are allowed.

Also, there can be any time signature applied to the theme, with rhythmic expansion/contraction employed as one sees fit.

How much Freedom afforded  within these parameters is up to each composer.  

I believe these parameters would allow for interesting possibilities  - with great variation.  

If 2 or more are submitted, perhaps we can vote on them… OR even starting another thread with other themes to be tried.

What do you guys think?

Gregorio

Here is one possible theme i just wrote:

IMG_20150916_183721998.jpg   

(the D# - first measure, 2nd stanza, should be a half note; not dotted)

I think that this theme allows for a wide interpretation of harmonic possibilities, and can accommodate  various stylistic tendencies.  

I hope you like it. 

Views: 1617

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mariza said,

"You may be thinking about Saint-SaënsDanse Macabre (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM). "

I must say, for my part, I am always thinking about Saint-SaënsDanse Macabre.

In fact, I am thinking about Saint-SaënsDanse Macabre, right now.

[On another unrelated topic, or marginally related topic, I think the vibraphone can be viewed positively or negatively, depending upon the context--and I will confess that I have used it on several occasions.  But beyond that, I will say no more about it, unless I come under serious pressure to do so.]

I've got to say I much like it!  Quite different than any of the other entries, too.

Sid Dellby said:

Hello,

I'm a bit late on this thread, but I discovered it a few days ago and decided to give it a shot. I did a harpsichord-cello-flute arrangement, with the theme on the flute. There's a short introduction which doesn't relate directly to the theme, but felt appropriate.

https://soundcloud.com/deuterion/variation-on-gregorios-theme

Ondib wrote:

"I must say, for my part, I am always thinking about Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre.

"In fact, I am thinking about Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre, right now"

Yes? Yet we ocasionally see you thinking about a few other things as well, I have noticed...

O. Olmnilnlolm said:

Mariza said,

"You may be thinking about Saint-SaënsDanse Macabre (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM). "

[On another unrelated topic, or marginally related topic, I think the vibraphone can be viewed positively or negatively, depending upon the context--and I will confess that I have used it on several occasions.  But beyond that, I will say no more about it, unless I come under serious pressure to do so.]

Hi Sid Dellby,

I quite like your harmonic treatment of the theme, and also the instrumentation.

It reminded me of some of the music one finds in 'Columbo' episodes.. which i have always liked very much!

Thank you for contributing!

gregorio

[Message has been slightly corrected, and reposted].

Water bear wrote,

"Yes? Yet we ocasionally see you thinking about a few other things as well, I have noticed..."

Well, I do think about other things.  Right now I am thinking about Vivaldi's Concerto for Two Mandolins.

I am playing two recordings of it simultaneously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8mJnX8up6g

‪A. Vivaldi concerto for two mandolins G-dur I-II-III

and one I am listening to on a French radio station, at the same time, but at a different juncture.   

What's odd, is that the mandolins in one seem tuned about one half semitone higher than the mandolins in the other.    (How is that possible in this day and age, with all the precision tuning we have at our disposal?)

I can't stop thinking about that, unless I turn one or both recordings off.

But still, I am ALWAYS thinking about ‪Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre. 

water bear said:

Ondib wrote:

"I must say, for my part, I am always thinking about Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre.

"In fact, I am thinking about Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre, right now"

Yes? Yet we ocasionally see you thinking about a few other things as well, I have noticed...

O. Olmnilnlolm said:

Mariza said,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service