Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Learn counterpoint with automatic counterpoint exercise analyser

Practicing counterpoint is difficult if student cannot show exercise to a teacher to find mistakes. Even when working with a teacher, waiting several days until teacher can check exercise slows down education. 

This is why we created Artinfuser Counterpoint site where everyone can upload counterpoint exercises and get their automatic analysis. I hope that it will help students that have limited or no access to teacher or need to find major mistakes in their exercises at once:
https://artinfuser.com

Just export your counterpoint exercise from your notation software into uncompressed MusicXML format, upload to the site and click "Process" - you will see PDF file with results. You will also get an MP3 with exercise being played by realistic virtual instruments.

I also attach an example of counterpoint exercise analysis.

Views: 141

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alexey,

This appears to be a useful learning tool for students that already have a relatively good grounding in counterpoint - however, if they are relative beginners they may not be able to interpret the comments you have included in your example analysis. If they are working under a busy tutor then your analyser could save time. Clearly, its best use would be to analyse prior to submission to a tutor and thereby identifying clear errors. Would this lead to lazy writing I wonder? - my own view, for what it's worth, is that clear thought and effort is needed to write decent counterpoint and your programme might lead to sketchy learning....but there again, if used correctly it might not. As ever, I guess it depends on the individual student.

For all that, it remains a very interesting idea and has no doubt taken a lot of effort on your part to write the programme.

I wish you the best of luck that it might lead to commercial success for you (if that's what your aim is).

Stephen

Thanks for your detailed reply! This project is not aimed at commercial success, but if there would be, this would really be great! :)

Lazy writing is important, but I am sure that new technology cannot be a problem for students, who are serious about learning music and not just getting an exercise without mistakes. Do you think that even after reading a book about counterpoint, the comments are difficult to understand? Actually, Artinfuser Counterpoint can show more detailed information about each mistake, this can be enabled in file settings in Expert mode. 

Stephen Lines said:

Alexey,

This appears to be a useful learning tool for students that already have a relatively good grounding in counterpoint - however, if they are relative beginners they may not be able to interpret the comments you have included in your example analysis. If they are working under a busy tutor then your analyser could save time. Clearly, its best use would be to analyse prior to submission to a tutor and thereby identifying clear errors. Would this lead to lazy writing I wonder? - my own view, for what it's worth, is that clear thought and effort is needed to write decent counterpoint and your programme might lead to sketchy learning....but there again, if used correctly it might not. As ever, I guess it depends on the individual student.

For all that, it remains a very interesting idea and has no doubt taken a lot of effort on your part to write the programme.

I wish you the best of luck that it might lead to commercial success for you (if that's what your aim is).

Stephen

Stephen has some excellent points. I understand this could be a useful tool. But every time you take a human out of the music process, you make music less human. In music school we learned counterpoint, of course. Some of the exorcises involved writing using strict rules only. Just sitting down with staff paper and a pencil and writing 20 measures using voice leading and harmonic rules. No instrument to hear results. The music produced was perfectly correct sounding. The problem was that it was also devoid of any originality. Yes, Piston was followed. But at the cost of lack of soul. 

Sure, we need to know the rules, but we also need to know when to break them. I dare say that my current counterpoint would probably not do well this program. I don't have a problem with that.

It's probably just a point of view observation, but it seems like the software calls things mistakes rather than areas that could be explored for different outcomes. A parallel fourth can be dealt with several different ways depending on the situation. Or there may be only one resolution. There may be no resolution without harmonic changes that destroy the phrase. Besides, there isn't universal agreement on what is a mistake.

Sorry for late reply, Bob! Thanks for your message.

We are not taking human out of the process here. At first, we are allowing human to do something more important and creative than just finding simple mistakes. Professor could spend his time much more effectively talking about application of the rules in the real world, talking about when and why rules are more or less important.

Secondly, if there is no human in the process, like when the student does not have access or has little access to professor, in this case we are not taking human out, because there is already no other choice.

We can talk a lot about the best way to teach, but there are real world limitations. Overwhelming professors with simple mistakes is not effective and is not motivating.

Knowing strict rules violations is not only about trying to fix them, but also trying to understand why they sound better in some situations. This is why I included performance of counterpoint exercise with quality virtual instruments.
Mistake is a violation of a strict rule and learning what to do with mistakes is important.

Bob Porter said:

Stephen has some excellent points. I understand this could be a useful tool. But every time you take a human out of the music process, you make music less human. In music school we learned counterpoint, of course. Some of the exorcises involved writing using strict rules only. Just sitting down with staff paper and a pencil and writing 20 measures using voice leading and harmonic rules. No instrument to hear results. The music produced was perfectly correct sounding. The problem was that it was also devoid of any originality. Yes, Piston was followed. But at the cost of lack of soul. 

Sure, we need to know the rules, but we also need to know when to break them. I dare say that my current counterpoint would probably not do well this program. I don't have a problem with that.

It's probably just a point of view observation, but it seems like the software calls things mistakes rather than areas that could be explored for different outcomes. A parallel fourth can be dealt with several different ways depending on the situation. Or there may be only one resolution. There may be no resolution without harmonic changes that destroy the phrase. Besides, there isn't universal agreement on what is a mistake.

Musiqquinha-2.pdf

Could you help me, I think I did sometthing wrong with the setings.

Hi, Lucas! Does music in PDF look exactly as you intended it to be? I do not mean colors and mistakes now. If music itself is as you wanted it to be, then the problem is that counterpoint exercises in species 5 are supported only in time signature 4/4 in Artinfuser Counterpoint. Your usage of 6/4 time signature does not comply with traditional strict counterpoint rules. Please see supported rhythms in Artinfuser Counterpoint: https://artinfuser.com/counterpoint/docs.php?d=cp_analyse

I suppose that for your situation best solution could be replacing time signature with 4/4 and replacing all dotted quarter notes with simple quarter notes in source file.

Lucas Oliveira Krumenaur said:

Musiqquinha-2.pdf

Then I would need to use tuplets. I'll just write another one, thanks!

Alexey Arkhipenko said:

Hi, Lucas! Does music in PDF look exactly as you intended it to be? I do not mean colors and mistakes now. If music itself is as you wanted it to be, then the problem is that counterpoint exercises in species 5 are supported only in time signature 4/4 in Artinfuser Counterpoint. Your usage of 6/4 time signature does not comply with traditional strict counterpoint rules. Please see supported rhythms in Artinfuser Counterpoint: https://artinfuser.com/counterpoint/docs.php?d=cp_analyse

I suppose that for your situation best solution could be replacing time signature with 4/4 and replacing all dotted quarter notes with simple quarter notes in source file.

Lucas Oliveira Krumenaur said:

Musiqquinha-2.pdf

Lucas, please see what is supported: https://artinfuser.com/counterpoint/docs.php?d=cp_analyse

Tuplets are not supported.

Also, in a counterpoint exercise voice should not end before the end of exercise, please see examples of every of five species: https://artinfuser.com/counterpoint/docs.php?d=cp_compose

What you are trying to do is probably closer to an exercise in harmony - this will be allowed when we crease  Artinfuser Harmony.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service