Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

So I do all of my actual work on the piano and that has been going well (currently working on a violin sonata for violin and piano along with the beginnings of a first symphony).

But because I have Sibelius and I like to have fun, I have started working on what I call "mock" symphonies where I write in a way that is pretty derivative of other composers and shamelessly extravagant and cliche. They are a lot of fun to do though and I am somewhat proud of them, this newest one especially. It comes out at 36 minutes with 5 movements with the following format: Long/Slowish-Scherzo-Slow-Scherzo-Long/Slowish

The newest addition is my 2nd in this line of faux symphonies the "Symphony in D# Major" (because the audio loss is too much for me to bear, I have refrained from uploading it to youtube and instead have linked to where you can download the mp3.):

https://ufile.io/efa5e

If you missed my 1st of these: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8PPEWAUKU

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why not Eb Major? I'm not going to sign up for filedropper.  Maybe filedropper is as impractical as the key of nine sharps.

There should be no sign up required (it has worked for many people).  If this is the case though I have uploaded it to drive which is probably much easier in hindsight... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3I06KaJCQeTdXBiWnpWOVU4TXc/view

Yet again I have faltered!  This link should be open to each and every one of you.   

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3I06KaJCQeTdXBiWnpWOVU4TXc/view?u...

Speaking of impractical key signatures, I offer this "beautiful" composition in B# major:

I was about to fill in the harmony but at one point a triple-sharp is required and my typesetting software balked at that, so you will unfortunately have to fill it in yourself. :-P

Why just for fun? There is a tragic popular opinion now that everything that actually contains a melody is cliche. Don't belittle this, it's great! Continue being shameless and keep the music coming! I couldn't listen to anything but the youtube stuff. I think that one lacked some flow. Too much stopping and starting again for my taste. But the music was well composed and the sound and orchestration Worked fine..

Oh trust me Lennart, I understand the stigma that nice sounding music has today.  When I say that this music is cliche I am not condemning melody or tonality, and I would actually call myself conservative compared to most of my contemporaries.  The reason I consider this music as "just for fun" is that I am writing it in very short amounts of time, without thinking of play-ability, and on a computer program.  I don't take myself seriously when writing it while I do take myself seriously when writing music on the piano.  

I am currently working on a way to upload the actual symphony in D# Major without losing any of the sound quality which is what youtube does.  

Lennart Östman said:

Why just for fun? There is a tragic popular opinion now that everything that actually contains a melody is cliche. Don't belittle this, it's great! Continue being shameless and keep the music coming! I couldn't listen to anything but the youtube stuff. I think that one lacked some flow. Too much stopping and starting again for my taste. But the music was well composed and the sound and orchestration Worked fine..

This link should work to download the symphony:   https://ufile.io/efa5e

I will put it in the original post as well.  

Have you tried Soundcloud? It's a good place to publish music. Lots of good music can be found there.

Daniel Zarb-Cousin said:

Oh trust me Lennart, I understand the stigma that nice sounding music has today.  When I say that this music is cliche I am not condemning melody or tonality, and I would actually call myself conservative compared to most of my contemporaries.  The reason I consider this music as "just for fun" is that I am writing it in very short amounts of time, without thinking of play-ability, and on a computer program.  I don't take myself seriously when writing it while I do take myself seriously when writing music on the piano.  

I am currently working on a way to upload the actual symphony in D# Major without losing any of the sound quality which is what youtube does.  

Lennart Östman said:

They also limit quality and I can't upload the symphony to soundcloud because it is 36 minutes long.  I do have a soundcloud and have used it many times though. 

Lennart Östman said:

Have you tried Soundcloud? It's a good place to publish music. Lots of good music can be found there.

Daniel Zarb-Cousin said:

Lennart Östman said:

Y'know, despite the "just for fun" caveat and the silly key, there are actually some pretty good ideas going on in this piece. Some of the orchestrations could use some work (e.g. wind chord voicings, brass voice leading, instrument ranges, etc.), and the material could use more development, but overall it's actually not bad at all. Obviously you put in a lot of work to build a 36-min piece, so I'm left wondering why you didn't take it seriously. There's some cool stuff going on, and it could have been made something significant instead of just a "joke" piece.

P.S. The 4th movement was especially funny, because it has many obvious parodies and in places made me almost laugh out loud.  I think since its inception by Beethoven the scherzo has mutated from a light-hearted joke movement into various bizarre and grotesque forms (e.g. the terrorizing 2nd mvmt of the 9th by Beethoven himself, the dream-of-terror 3rd mvmt of Dvorak's 9th, and subsequent developments)... but hooray for this here a scherzo with actual humor!!  Now some of the parts do sound unplayable, but it would be interesting to write a playable version that's no less funny and have it actually performed. You never know, people could actually love it!

Wow Teoh, I very much appreciate your comments!  I would agree that there are some really fantastic moments in this symphony and there are definitely some that I'd hope to use in my later work that I would consider part of my "canon."  With this said, though, all in all I did not really put THAT much work into it relative to how meticulous I may be with my work that I write.  

I didn't take it seriously because I didn't want too.  Sometimes I like to just have fun and write something ridiculous on Sibelius, and in that mode I can come up with some good content but I just don't put my heart into it and that is on purpose.  My heart is saved for my true work which I am very excited to be presenting here once it is performed (A sonata for violin and piano).   

I also appreciate the comments on the Scherzo!  Those are a lot of fun to do.  I think you may add Mahler as another of those who stretched the Scherzo to something more grotesque than a lighthearted joke.  :-)  And people do like this sort of thing which is why I enjoy making them.  It is fun to show to family and friends but ultimately if I was producing this sort of thing and calling it my work to be remembered, I would not be satisfied with myself at all.  

H. S. Teoh said:

Y'know, despite the "just for fun" caveat and the silly key, there are actually some pretty good ideas going on in this piece. Some of the orchestrations could use some work (e.g. wind chord voicings, brass voice leading, instrument ranges, etc.), and the material could use more development, but overall it's actually not bad at all. Obviously you put in a lot of work to build a 36-min piece, so I'm left wondering why you didn't take it seriously. There's some cool stuff going on, and it could have been made something significant instead of just a "joke" piece.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service