Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Another wip that I've spent quite a lot of time on, at least 4 weeks trying to refine it. Something about it feels a bit off. Haven't gotten the sound quite down yet but this is as close as I've come so far. In composition I think this is one of the last versions I will make, so any thoughts on that before I consider it done would be greatly appriciated.

What I'm thinking about when I write often is how I almost never let pieces return to a specific part, and if I do I always want it to sound different. Maybe this is a weakness of how memorable my pieces will be experienced? This piece as many of the others that I'm currently working on and those others posted here, just naturally evolved into 4-7 part tied structures which I find relating well to eachother, but they may just be relating to me? Does it feel natural? Interesting? Is it very hard to follow the direction/feel of the piece?

Wish you all a sound day.

Views: 47

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi George,

Thanks a lot for the comment. The bass-patch has a stereo delay that I'd really like to get rid of since it makes it feel like it's phasing a bit. It's a good point I think it's a bit too strong in this mix. I don't want it to be muddy at all really but it's quite difficult with these kinds of sounds. All my patches have quite strong reverb, delays and distortion to get that rawness that I want. So I love how they sound solo but when I put them together there's quite a bit of "spill" so to speak. The chord synth is one of the patches I love most for this track, but it's very hard to hear it at times since it has such a smooth attack compared to all the other instruments. Bass down and chords up, and work on smoothening out the bass sound.

I'm glad that it doesn't just sound like madness to you :-).

George Butterley said:

Hi Vincenti,

This is beyond my ability to effectively critique as a Composer, since I don’t believe I could get beyond the foothills of what you’re achieving technically here, but not I think, beyond my ability as a listener. Initial impressions, very firmly in the genre to which you’re aiming. My first concern is the synth bass sound.  It’s full and meaty,and great! But you’re playing quite a complex part there, and given the way you’ve programmed the drums, probably needs to provide a degree of rhythmic underpinning. There’s a fair amount of rhythmic detail, and to me it’s washing around muddying the waters a bit. Is there some kind of stereo delay? A tighter sound would clean the mix up a bit from the perspective of the listener. It’s also very prominent in the mix.  Having said this I did find my ears adjusting after a couple of listens, maybe it’s the just the style that you’re after? I’m not sure.

I enjoyed it overall; once again plenty of detail, and sounds like instrumentalists communicating with one another, which you do well to pull off. In terms of memorability, I don’t think you could expect music of this complexity to be memorable on the first few passes. It certainly has momentum, i.e. it takes you somewhere, and the journeys interesting. But coming back to the genre, it was largely about the player’s voices interacting with one another, and about their skill to play this heady stuff. There was a cut off point for me back then, if it became too complex I lost the thread, and it became effectively musical self-glorification by the players. I lost some guys in the stratosphere as they ‘moved-on’.

I didn’t find it hard to follow the direction of the piece in any sense, and your choices didn’t raise any real issues for me. It is what it is, you combine the various compositional elements tastefully, and it sounds like your work.

For mixing, try using a low pass filter on all instruments except kick drum and bass. How the individual tracks sound when solo'd doesn't matter. I like your lead synth parts! Background chords are also very good. I feel like I've returned to forever. Your drum tracks don't sound good to me-they don't compare well with the great fusion albums. Solution? Work with a good drummer.

Hi Doug,

Thank you I will try adding a low pass filter. 

On the drums, I'm not very happy with the samples that I'm using right now, and there's almost no velocity mapping at all. I'm still trying to learn how to do this properly. Do you think that it's too difficult to learn writing drums without being able to play? (I don't know any drummers, and my social network is very limited.)

Doug Lauber said:

For mixing, try using a low pass filter on all instruments except kick drum and bass. How the individual tracks sound when solo'd doesn't matter. I like your lead synth parts! Background chords are also very good. I feel like I've returned to forever. Your drum tracks don't sound good to me-they don't compare well with the great fusion albums. Solution? Work with a good drummer.
In my experience, using a real drummer is the solution for the best result. Samples can work well for more of a techno/dance effect, like Gaga's 'Bad Romance'. So why not create a fusion blend with a techno/dance rhythm track? ...just food for thought.
That's not a bad idea, but I think I don't want that for this track. I have some others that I like the idea of that more for, though for this track I'd like it to give the soundscape dimension, and for that I'd like them to be acoustic sounding and very dynamic.

Doug Lauber said:
In my experience, using a real drummer is the solution for the best result. Samples can work well for more of a techno/dance effect, like Gaga's 'Bad Romance'. So why not create a fusion blend with a techno/dance rhythm track? ...just food for thought.
Thanks George,
I'm really unhappy with these drum samples overall, I like the kick somewhat and the rides, but other than that I think I need other samples. The toms are my biggest concern, they sound quite bad indeed, but also as you say the cymbals are kinda trashy. I'll put a few days aside to work on just mapping a nice velocity sensitive drumset and see where that leads me.
Thanks a lot for the feedback, to the both of you. Now I have much more direction, it feels like I learned a lot from this.
Cheers

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service