Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I'm only a baby composer - I don't know much about music theory so please don't be too brutal. I know  there is a lot to fix on this --Maybe just get rid of the weird voice..and make the song go somewhere...I haven't exactly finished it because I am not happy with it....I haven't got very good piano skills either, but I try.

One of them is unfinished and without voices...please tell me what you think.

I am inspired by pianists such as Ludovico Einaudi and Dario Marianelli....

Not much else to say about this...

Views: 119

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Raina,

I think this piece is beautiful, the wierd voice works mostly well, except for where it is high and a little overexposed in the middle section. It reminds me of the type of music you hear behind Jet Li movies; mysterious, ambiguous and unresolved. I work by ear too, and you don't need loads of theory to write music that moves the heart, just an instinct on how to get your feelings across. For me anyhow, and this just a personal opinion, try softening the dynamics of that middle section, it's maybe a little heavy and it loses the intrigue somewhat. The main vocal is haunting, as is the melody that you're singing. Your writing and your approach are really personal and touching, very nice work.
Sorry- I forgot to mention that this song was in no way finished...I was happy with the beginning but I had to hand it in the next day for a College assignment so I just rushed and doubled it over...(seeing as it has to be longer). I would really like it to go somewhere towards the middle then resolve again maybe add some suspense....but I had a mental block...haha

Really appreciate all your suggestions...This was the first time for me to use Logic so I am trying to understand all the little things I have to do...seems so confusing sometimes.

Thank-you very much...I will try and finish it these holidays. ;)
Hi Raina. I am new to composing music., newly hatched. :)
What I like about both pieces is the tension and the feeling of anticipation. The voice in Jasmine Dance belongs in the ethereal mood of this piece. Jasmine Wind felt very poinant especially with the piano, but the piece needs to be longer. Good work Raina!
Maybe you could build the tension with more repetition, maybe darker chords in a lower octave, or faster tempo traveling
higher in octaves then returning to the tonic key?

Raina Ashford said:
Sorry- I forgot to mention that this song was in no way finished...I was happy with the beginning but I had to hand it in the next day for a College assignment so I just rushed and doubled it over...(seeing as it has to be longer). I would really like it to go somewhere towards the middle then resolve again maybe add some suspense....but I had a mental block...haha

Really appreciate all your suggestions...This was the first time for me to use Logic so I am trying to understand all the little things I have to do...seems so confusing sometimes.

Thank-you very much...I will try and finish it these holidays. ;)
I really enjoyed both pieces, not sure if that's live vocals or EWQL's voices of passion, but I think it really works here. Lovely changes and melodies, and forgive an old mans obsevation but, you are very cute as well.
Hi Raina--

WOW..VERY nice!!

Haunting, reflective, and I enjoyed the change in the middle--
and this music seems to have been written from your heart, and NO music theory can touch that..

and I myself wouldn't LET it..just let your original voice sing:)

Great job:)

Bob Morabito
HI
I really like it. it has a nice calming effect about it, and i wouldn't call the voice weird at all. I think it suits the piece. The only thing i would say, is more of a personal taste thing, being a fan of minimalism myself :P. Is maybe work on developing your ideas. So instead of having blocks of ideas, changing from one to the next. Try Slowly developing them, morphing one idea into the next, so that you don't notice the change as much. You can do this by changing little things, like introducing a new note, or displacing the rhythm, etc. Play around with the idea, then morph slowly into the next idea. :)
But other than that. I think it was lovely.
hayds
Hi Raina,

I really like Jasmine Wind, it has a very serene feel to it, beautiful piano playing too. Like you, I started out with little to no music theory knowledge and learned by ear. I encourage people who are starting out to learn by ear as it gives you a real feel for the music.

Keep up the good work!
Raina, if they are supposed to be different pieces, it would be a good idea to write them in different keys to distinguish one from the other. When 'Jasmine Wind' started playing, I thought it was the same piece revisited.

You have a long way to go Raina, but you definitely have a skill worth nurturing. I know minimalism is what it says, but it is important to make use of dynamics, key change, instrumentation etc to create more interest in a piece. The haunting quality initially prevalent on first hearing could become tiresome when instead you could make it quite thrilling if you put your mind to it. You certainly have the potential to do this and I look forward to hearing it when you've finished.
Sorry -need to to explain both songs.

Jasmine wind + Jasmine dance are same song.

I did Jasmine wind first..but for an assessment I had to use some vocal track (actually my own) so I just added it on a new copy. So really I just put J wind on there so you can hear it without all the vocal stuff on there--to see which one is better..
Thanx :)
That's fine Raina, and I look forward to hearing how it develops. I've added you as a friend, in case you need any help with anything. Would you like to join my harmony group (in the groups forum under "Rudiments of Fundamental Harmony"? I know that you mainly play by ear, but learning a few tricks of the trade won't do you any harm, I'm sure. To be honest, I've neglected the group a bit. I might start adding more discussions there displaying different chords and how to use them. I also learn from other people that contribute and I'm quite sure you've probably got a few tricks up your sleeve that you might want to share.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service