Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello, everyone. I've been a sporadic poster in this forum for a few years, not actually sure when I started. I'm 60 years old, have been playing guitar and bass since I was 13. Played in a few bands, tried to make a living for a bit, but got completely sandbagged by disco, which hit just after I graduated from high school. Wasn't hardly a place to play live rock after that.

I have been slowly learning to compose and record. Really started to play a lot of guitar again about 15 years ago. 4 years ago I started on the Conservatory Canada Contemporary Idioms syllabus, which really drove my ear training, reading and knowledge of theory forward; I'll be finished that summer 2018. Started to take composition lessons a year and a half ago from an excellent teacher, which has driven me even harder, learning how to fold everything I've been doing all together.

I'm preparing to retire now, and have the time to really devote myself to being a creative person. I've also done a fair bit of fiction writing and graphic art, and am looking to figure out how to combine the three into a single video art form. I do finger style acoustic instrumentals, and have been experimenting with electronic music, writing the parts in standard notation in Notion on the iPad, then exporting the result as midi, importing it to my DAW, and assigning sounds and tweaks. It's a process, and a lot of fun.

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Rick and nice to see you! Welcome back to the forum!

Gav

G'day Rick.

Good for you getting right back into composition. That is definitely the way to go if you are now about to retire.

Good to have lessons also to get the brain cells tuned up again :)

Lots of stuff out there, and absolutely amazing stuff for the latest Ipad's. Give me a hoy if you want to know what I use.

I am 70 years young, and it is only know that I am getting right back into 'serious' composition after not composing any avant-garde music since the late 70's, although since then I have been involved in computer graphics, and have written three books, two for the Vic 20 computer, remember that little computer, and the Commodore 64.

Best wishes to you and your family, and I certainly hope you will upload some of your music and some of your graphic work here soon.

seeya.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

donate

© 2017   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service