Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I have composed an orchestral piece titled "In the Beginning...".

https://youtu.be/CI3sAk6dzKc

Thanks for listening!

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Minseo,

Interesting piece with excellent moments and nicely scored. 

What lets it down for me is the mix. The panning is to severe for me, it seems to be left heavy and the reverb is too muddy. This is of course subjective. There are some balance issues for me too - the harp entry at 4 ' is too loud. 

Still, all said and done, it is a good dramatic piece in my opinion with a great moment around 3'50".

Mike,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments!  I reduced the level of reverb a little bit and tried to fix some balance issues as you have suggested.  The revised version was uploaded;

https://youtu.be/tmqaW0kxA48

I do not know what to do about panning since I just used the default setting provided by the sample library^^.  

Best regards,

Minseo

Much better for me Minseo, I hope you agree too. It'd be nice to follow it with a score too!

Listen to Ray if he has any comments as he knows his onions when it comes to mixing.

It really is an enjoyable work with some great ideas and nice idiomatic writing. BTW I see you are a scientist, may I ask what discipline? Just curious as I've had a long fascination with Quantum physics and Cosmology.

Ray,

I use mostly EW Hollywood Orchestra and some patches from EW Symphonic Orchestra.  Thanks.

Ray said:

What sample library do you use?

Mike,

Thanks for your suggestion and I do agree with you.  I will try but it will take a long time for me to prepare a score^^.  BTW, I am a materials scientist (with specialty in semiconductor materials).  It is good to hear that you have interest in science!

Mike Hewer said:

Much better for me Minseo, I hope you agree too. It'd be nice to follow it with a score too!

Listen to Ray if he has any comments as he knows his onions when it comes to mixing.

It really is an enjoyable work with some great ideas and nice idiomatic writing. BTW I see you are a scientist, may I ask what discipline? Just curious as I've had a long fascination with Quantum physics and Cosmology.

Don't put yourself out on my account Minseo re the score....

Just been reading about 'time crystals'....another superconducting breakthrough...wow.

OK.  Among the many scientific and technological developments, I am greatly indebted to the advance in music technology, especially DAWs and sample libraries...  Cheers!

Mike Hewer said:

Don't put yourself out on my account Minseo re the score....

Just been reading about 'time crystals'....another superconducting breakthrough...wow.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service