Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is a piece that I call "Improvisation" due to its short lived, non thematic nature. It weaves in and out of a triplet motif which dictates the various melodies found in the piece. I hope you enjoy it.

http://i.imgur.com/fCzvt5m.png

http://picosong.com/XQ5x/

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the comment. You've certainly nailed down a few of my major influences. I love them all except Britten, who I am not familiar with. You say it's not derivative but the harmonies are certainly influenced by pre-modern music, and that's one hangup I think I have. I feel like nothing I write will ever get respect in the serious music world because of the modernism trend. Serialism/atonality, electronic music, etc. I've always felt that if I were to cross over to "the dark side", it wouldn't be honest.

Gav Brown said:

Ever since I first heard this exceptional work I have been trying to put my finger on who it reminds me of. It's so fresh and original that to say that it sounds like anyone else particularly could be misinterpreted as me saying that it's derivative, which I don't think at all. Yet the feeling lingers that it reminds me of other composers. After having listened to it many times, I find certain names keep coming up in my mind without exactly being able to say why. FWIW here are the composers I think of when I listen - Chopin, Debussy, Ravel, Gershwin, Britten. If there is any single piece I think of when listening to this, it is Ravel's Morning Song of the Jester. Whatever! Let's hear some more from you, Joel

Hey there Joel, I listened to your piece again, except this time

I relaxed and closed my eyes. I was 'transported' to a laid back

piano bar/lounge circa 1940 .(maybe near Chicago)

Did you ever open for Count Bassie in a previous life?  lol      RS

ps- I've always liked the sounds of that era.... Any influence there for you?

The moderism trend is there - I am myself an adherent of it. And I rarely comment on pieces written in old style approaches - but your piece was a fresh take, it didn't strike me as old style at all. Another way you might look at it - you have a voice people want to hear - i can tell you as a longstanding member of this site, I cannot recall another piece which was posted which got such a universally positive response from members - take that as a compliment from a bunch of music lovers and peers, and run with it. Let's hear another piece from you, when you can!

Joel Wagner said:

Thanks for the comment. You've certainly nailed down a few of my major influences. I love them all except Britten, who I am not familiar with. You say it's not derivative but the harmonies are certainly influenced by pre-modern music, and that's one hangup I think I have. I feel like nothing I write will ever get respect in the serious music world because of the modernism trend. Serialism/atonality, electronic music, etc. I've always felt that if I were to cross over to "the dark side", it wouldn't be honest.

Gav Brown said:

Ever since I first heard this exceptional work I have been trying to put my finger on who it reminds me of. It's so fresh and original that to say that it sounds like anyone else particularly could be misinterpreted as me saying that it's derivative, which I don't think at all. Yet the feeling lingers that it reminds me of other composers. After having listened to it many times, I find certain names keep coming up in my mind without exactly being able to say why. FWIW here are the composers I think of when I listen - Chopin, Debussy, Ravel, Gershwin, Britten. If there is any single piece I think of when listening to this, it is Ravel's Morning Song of the Jester. Whatever! Let's hear some more from you, Joel

Thanks for some perspective! New stuff on the way.

Gav Brown said:

The moderism trend is there - I am myself an adherent of it. And I rarely comment on pieces written in old style approaches - but your piece was a fresh take, it didn't strike me as old style at all. Another way you might look at it - you have a voice people want to hear - i can tell you as a longstanding member of this site, I cannot recall another piece which was posted which got such a universally positive response from members - take that as a compliment from a bunch of music lovers and peers, and run with it. Let's hear another piece from you, when you can!

Joel Wagner said:

Gav Brown said:

How long do you think it might be, Joel, before we're treated to another of your efforts? Really, I'm waiting with baited breath to see what you can come up with next. It's not, you understand, that I mean to rush you, however...

Joel Wagner said:

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I am glad you liked it. I do have more on the way so stay tuned.

I'm not sure. I don't get lots of time to compose, and when I do it's only worth anything if I feel inspired. I'll try and get something out rather quick for you guys. Thanks for the comment!

Paul Smith said:

How long do you think it might be, Joel, before we're treated to another of your efforts? Really, I'm waiting with baited breath to see what you can come up with next. It's not, you understand, that I mean to rush you, however...

Joel Wagner said:

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I am glad you liked it. I do have more on the way so stay tuned.

You're quite welcome. Again, no rush, but it is a definite pleasure to have around these parts a true talent. Inspiration, too, as I'm sure you must know, can often be found in the most unlikely and unexpected places, I've noticed. Not, however, that my own pianistic skills these days are anywhere near on a par with yours... Over the years, what with a family to raise and all, I really let them slip quite considerably. Not to get too personal and off track here, but in the end I simply decided it would be better for me to spend my free time attempting to develop my compositional skills, rather than trying to maintain what level I'd managed to reach on the piano. And, even more importantly, when I did play on a regular basis, it was nearly always some piece or other from the masters, rather than attempting something original, which is yet another thing I find admirable about the approach you're taking.

Joel Wagner said:

I'm not sure. I don't get lots of time to compose, and when I do it's only worth anything if I feel inspired. I'll try and get something out rather quick for you guys. Thanks for the comment!

Paul Smith said:

Joel Wagner said:

Wow!  So good, so good.  Really really good.  Really really enjoyable.  Old fashioned.  So what?  At some point the thread of classical music was broken -- we've gained a lot from the interim richness of experience and started valuable new threads! -- but I think there are old classical thread pieces that need to be given continuation now, and I love the way you're doing it.  They won't remain "old fashioned" for long...

Is there gonna be more? (please)   But please no rush.  Rush is bad.

Mariza

Reply to Discussion

RSS

donate

© 2017   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service