Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is a piece that I call "Improvisation" due to its short lived, non thematic nature. It weaves in and out of a triplet motif which dictates the various melodies found in the piece. I hope you enjoy it.

http://i.imgur.com/fCzvt5m.png

http://picosong.com/XQ5x/

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Joel,

I don't usually go in for this sort of thing (music in a neoclassical vein) but this one caught my attention. It's quite lovely and a bit jazzy and whimsical and expertly done. Lovely chords and memorable melody, plus a nice finish. You are a very good piano player. Thanks for sharing!

Excllent playing Joel. Let's see a video next!

Very nice music, and tremendously well played!  You sound like a pianist from the "golden age".

Only one word: Excellent! I had a look at your CF-page, and I saw that you were a bit in doubt, whether you would "fit in" with all these professionals and music students. Well, I am of the opinion that you have far more talent than most of these people. Many of them study or have studied music at length, but it is not possiibile to become a good composer by just studying music. You need to have a natural talent as well.

Regards

Johan

My interpretation is that this forum is for everyone who composes, whether it is a seasoned professional with commissions and deadlines, or just an amateur like me with a lot to learn.  The problem is, at my age, the rate of forgetting is starting to catch up with the rate of learning - and I am in trouble! ;-)

Johan, as a self taught fumbling amateur, I'll second what you've said here.(and Michael)

Some day, If I live long enough, one of the goals on my musical bucket list, is to

simply sit down at the piano and play, as in an improvisation, exactly what I am feeling.

Nice work Joel.      RS

Johan Roeraade said:

Only one word: Excellent! I had a look at your CF-page, and I saw that you were a bit in doubt, whether you would "fit in" with all these professionals and music students. Well, I am of the opinion that you have far more talent than most of these people. Many of them study or have studied music at length, but it is not possiibile to become a good composer by just studying music. You need to have a natural talent as well.

Regards

Johan

Brilliant Joel.  I did't think it was playable at first, but apparently so.  You're good dude.  Nice piece.  Very fluid.

D

Excellent. Light and playful and very assured of itself. Keep doing whatever all you're doing, man, it's working for you. 

I really enjoyed this piece. It was fun and simply wonderful!

Further comment: I think short pieces are terrifically hard to do well. Like short short stories, you have to grab the listener with a compelling idea from the first measure and carry them through the piece towards a logical and satisfying ending without leaving a feeling that what you have presented is just an unfinished idea or a motif without structure. This piece, in addition to being highly structured, is satisfying on every level it is possible to be satisfying - it's beautiful, it's well played, it's whimsical, it has original ideas, it changes, it concludes perfectly. The only objection I can offer, and it's petty, is that the name "Improvisation" does not seem to me to be accurate - this is a highly composed and structured compact work. I look greatly forward to hearing more from this composer.

Absolutely lovely! Short and sweet, with lots of fresh ideas that are seamlessly integrated into the whole in a logical sequence... I wish I could write piano pieces this well!

Agree with Gav -- the hardest pieces to write are the short ones, because there is no space for fillers to hide poorly-thought out passages or lack of ideas, you have to get right to the point and do it well, and present your ideas in a well-rounded, complete form in a small amount of space. This piece fits the bill perfectly IMO.

Ever since I first heard this exceptional work I have been trying to put my finger on who it reminds me of. It's so fresh and original that to say that it sounds like anyone else particularly could be misinterpreted as me saying that it's derivative, which I don't think at all. Yet the feeling lingers that it reminds me of other composers. After having listened to it many times, I find certain names keep coming up in my mind without exactly being able to say why. FWIW here are the composers I think of when I listen - Chopin, Debussy, Ravel, Gershwin, Britten. If there is any single piece I think of when listening to this, it is Ravel's Morning Song of the Jester. Whatever! Let's hear some more from you, Joel

Reply to Discussion

RSS

donate

© 2017   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service