Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Imaginary Machines Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

For this contest, Composers' Forum members were asked to submit an entry of no more than 3 minutes duration on the theme of "Imaginary Machines." Please listen to the entries below and vote at the link here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/R6LCMVW

Deadline to vote is 07/18/19 at 5 pm EST.

Views: 1296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

16 votes so far!

The given theme apparently inspired well...!

Claude Werner said:

Wow! What incredible diversity, I wish I could give them all a vote...! Very difficult decision...

Agreed!

Tillerich said:

The given theme apparently inspired well...!

Claude Werner said:

Wow! What incredible diversity, I wish I could give them all a vote...! Very difficult decision...

22 votes so far!

Deadline to vote is 07/18/19 at 5 pm EST.

23 votes so far! Deadline to vote is 07/18/19 at 5 pm EST. Contest results will be posted Thursday evening, in 3 parts: 1) The Composers Revealed; 2) Winners; 3) Comments and votes for the "Fun" categories (which do not count towards the totals). Good luck to all entrants!

The deadline to vote has passed and no more votes will be accepted. The contest results will be posted soon.

The Composers Revealed!

Composer 01 is Dane Aubrun
Composer 02 is Tillman Jacobi
Composer 03 is Stephen Lines
Composer 04 is Will Brecht
Composer 05 is Nancy Tucker
Composer 06 is Graeme Helliwell
Composer 07 is Claude Werner

The Winners! 26 votes were placed. Voters were asked to vote on their #1, #2, and #3 entries. For each #1 vote, I gave the composer 3 points, for each #2 vote, 2 points, and for each #3 vote, 1 point. The most points wins! Note: does not include votes in the "Fun" categories.

1st PLACE WINNER is Claude Werner with "Duneometer" (45 points)
2nd PLACE WINNER is Nancy Tucker with "March of the Mannequins" (25 points)
3rd PLACE WINNER is Graeme Helliwell with "Slartibartfast's Planet Maker" (20 points)

Others:

Stephen Lines' "Imaginary Machine" (03) received 16 points
Will Brecht's "Imaginary Machine" (04) received 16 points
Dane Aubrun's "The Sun Machine" received 15 points
Tillman Jacobi's "The Dream Machine" received 10 points

Congratulations to the winners and to all who entered! Winners will be contacted by me to receive their prize! Comments on the pieces and "Fun" Category votes (which did not count towards the totals) will be posted next.

Comments and "Fun" category votes (which did not count towards the total)

Composer 01 (Dane Aubrun, "The Sun Machine")
Received 4 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 5 votes for "Most melodious," 3 votes for "Best orchestration," 1 vote for "Most climactic," and 3 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic." COMMENTS: (voted for you for #2): "Love the reference to Yellow Bird. Well done... very professional" (voted for you for #3): "sweet and quirky"

Composer 02 (Tillman Jacobi, "The Dream Machine")
Received 2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 3 votes for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Best orchestration," and 2 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic." COMMENTS: (voted for you for #1): "A work of smaller scale, but, therefore, it is actually more realistic to play it in real life!"

Composer 03 (Stephen Lines, "Imaginary Machine")
Received 2 votes for "Most melodious," 2 votes for "Best orchestration," 1 vote for "Most climactic," and 2 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic." COMMENTS: (voted for you for #1): "Refined, light-hearted."

Composer 04 (Will Brecht, "Imaginary Machine")
Received 3 votes for "Most melodious" and 2 votes for "Most climactic." COMMENTS: (voted for you for #3): "Gentle. Exotic. Mystical. A pleasant ride indeed, Composer 04."

Composer 05 (Nancy Tucker, "March of the Mannequins")
Received 2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 7 votes for "Most melodious," 3 votes for "Best orchestration," 2 votes for "Most climactic," and 4 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic." COMMENTS: (voted for you for #1): "Innovative, catchy tune." (voted for you for #2): "If mannequins are in fact machines, then yeah." (voted for you for #3): "Excellent imagery" (voted for you for #3): "Presumably automata so meets the brief. Quite jolly and pleasant." (voted for you for #3): "Funny, colourful and I really like the different approach"

Composer 06 (Graeme Helliwell, "Slartibartfast's Planet Maker")
Received 1 vote for "Sounds most like topic," 2 votes for "Most melodious," 3 votes for "Best orchestration," 2 votes for "Most climactic," and 2 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic." COMMENTS: (voted for you for #2): "Ethereal and 'out of this worldish'; good effects and very atmospheric - fully meets the 'machine' brief." (voted for you for #2): "Well it's just marvellous,perhaps deserves to be No 1"

Composer 07 (Claude Werner, "Duneometer")
Received 13 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious," 11 votes for "Best orchestration," 13 votes for "Most climactic," and 7 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic." COMMENTS: (voted for you for #1): "Most machine like and most original," (voted for you for #1): "Only one who was actually 'on topic.'" (voted for you for #1): "Good storyline, this meets the 'machine' brief and is v. descriptive; excellent sound effects. Sadly the score is barely legible - would love to see a clearer one." (voted for you for #1): "It was very atmospheric. I liked the gradual cresdendo toward about 3/4 the way through the piece." (voted for you for #1): "It's certainly the most unusual and machine like." (voted for you for #2): "Powerful. Evocative. Presumably the work of an accomplished film composer with a grand inner aural vision - or it's Ligetti in disguise." (voted for you for #2): "Great use of orchestration and form." (voted for you for #2): "Atmosphere!"

Brilliant stuff and congratulations to Claude, Nancy and Graeme - some fascinating interpretations and sounds, thoroughly enjoyable and creditable!

Thanks Gav for another excellent example of your organisational skills in what turned out to be yet another great competition....may there be many more. 

Well done to everyone who took part and thanks for those who voted and commented, across the competition. It was a hard choice to choose my own favourite this year. Everyone had something unique in their work and I remain envious of the talent out there.

My thanks to Gav for organising the event. It's a great site and community to be part of.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service