Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello dear composers,

I am a hobby musician/composer. I started recording my music just a year a go after 12 years of practicing classical guitar. As I have no musical training I tend to doubt myself being a composer.

I only depend on my ears, mood and feelings when writing something new. I am sure that is not enough and I am planning to invest some time in music theory.

Two days ago i finished a piece that I would like to share with you. any comment or critique is really appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/kmibrahim/till-stars-burn

Greetings from Berlin

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would say that 12 years of playing guitar certainly counts as musical training. If you read music, that's also a plus because so much of theory is about what is on the printed page.

This piece shows that you have a good ear. Trust it. Would this piece benefit from some training? Hard to say. Could it be more intricate? Sure. But is that the point? Will theory help you produce better harmonies and chord progressions. Maybe. 

It never hurts to know some theory.

Very nice. Calm, a sombre mood, nice balance between piano and background strings. Has a Mediterranean feel to me. 

There were a couple of small things that might benefit from revision later on but all in all, a great piece. Good length. I particularly liked the absence of percussion (i.e. drumming) which would have spoiled this piece for me. The scoring is just right.

Some theory is useful. It can help you get to where you want to be in a composition a lot faster than without it. It also helps when things get complicated - lots of (or awkward) key changes. I had a reasonably good grounding in theory and never regretted it but take it in moderation! 

Cheers. 

you are righ, Bob. I can read music (only treble clef though) But it is only a self learn thing. Thanks a lot!

Bob Porter said:

I would say that 12 years of playing guitar certainly counts as musical training. If you read music, that's also a plus because so much of theory is about what is on the printed page.

This piece shows that you have a good ear. Trust it. Would this piece benefit from some training? Hard to say. Could it be more intricate? Sure. But is that the point? Will theory help you produce better harmonies and chord progressions. Maybe. 

It never hurts to know some theory.

Hey Dane.. I didn't notice the Mediterranean  touch. But I come originaly from Alexandria, Egypt. Thanks.. I will definitly take some time to learn about Harmony.

Dane Aubrun said:

Very nice. Calm, a sombre mood, nice balance between piano and background strings. Has a Mediterranean feel to me. 

There were a couple of small things that might benefit from revision later on but all in all, a great piece. Good length. I particularly liked the absence of percussion (i.e. drumming) which would have spoiled this piece for me. The scoring is just right.

Some theory is useful. It can help you get to where you want to be in a composition a lot faster than without it. It also helps when things get complicated - lots of (or awkward) key changes. I had a reasonably good grounding in theory and never regretted it but take it in moderation! 

Cheers. 

I have nothing to add to what's already been said,but I just wanted to let you know that I thought it's beautiful!

Thanks a lot. I am really thrilled you like it!

Claude Werner said:

I have nothing to add to what's already been said,but I just wanted to let you know that I thought it's beautiful!

Hi Kareem. I'm not sure how qualified I am to comment but here goes. I like the broad musical ideas. You have a strong theme towards the end of the piece which works very well. I would have liked more "support" for the piano from the orchestra at the beginning of the piece i.e. more lower registrar instruments. Also, and forgive me if this was intentional, but I found the lack of syncopation between the piano and orchestra a little distracting from what is a really nice piano piece. (the "chord" change at 00:00:27 is a good example of this). Generally I thought it was a really nice piece of music and is certainly worthy of developing further. I look forward to similarly honest critiques when I get posting my music.

Hello Neil,

The Syncopation point is really good. I guess I am still scared or syncopation a little bit. I need (and i am Trying) to be a bit more brave while creating something new. Thanks a lot.

p.s. I believe everybody is qualified to listen and judge music and have an opinion about it. Arts must not alienate the audienc in my opinion.

Does the sky look like this at night in your native country?  A little lonely though...  The balances and entrances, use of silence are noteworthy interalia to me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service