Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

in response to Gavin's delightful short Celebration piece, I was reminded of a real miniature "fanfare", that I put together more than 30 years ago (it is much more simplistic than his!).

Actually, this is a re-construction from memory, which I just cobbled together this afternoon. One or two chords are clearly wrong (you will probably spot them immediately; suggestions for corrections are more than welcomed, thank you in advance). It unsettles me a little bit, that I am, after all these years, apparently not much more able to work them out any quicker than I did back then. But hey, it was an exercise before, and it is another one again now.

Also, I think, that the way how it stands now pretty much exhausts the material used - or does anyone have an idea, if / how it could be expanded or developed any more?

Cheers,

Tillerich

Views: 60

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tillerich,

It has a video-gamish medieval village air about it and is pleasant. I didn't hear any outrageously wrong chords, though I thought some of the chord choices could have been stronger. Thanks for sharing!

Gav

Thank you! Yes, slightly medieval and simple was the idea.

In my opinion the last beat in bar 14 and Bar 22 (this probably should be different to 14) are somewhat messed up, but I can't quite work it out. The last beat bar 3 and 17 could be better as well to lead in the right direction. I am not expecting or hoping for a tutorial from anyone here, just a hint to learn from, if possible, please.

If you could perhaps point to which chords could have been "stronger", that would be fab as well, but I do not want to take too much of your time.

If the whole technical construction is apparently flawed (e.g. too many basic common rules broken, or simply not followed), that would be worth some brief feedback as well; I would not necessarily notice otherwise. 

Well, the chord in bar 22....not sure what it's meant to do because it doesn't help with the cadence that should be strong in a fanfare (in my reckoning especially with a rall). It's 'sort-of' got the notes of the tonic chord but with the 3rd tripled. Repeating the content of bar 7 would be better. It's last beat is Va. Or drop the bassoon to the D and leave the oboe on the B. Make the oboe rise to the C. At the moment the final chord doubles the 3rd which is weak.

A Handel quality about it. As Gav says, some chords could be stronger.

I can imagine sitting in a  church and hearing something like this. As a suggestion to expand this, you could possibly make a second pass over the same lower wind part using the flute to play a more complex melody, a third pass might incorporate an oboe playing a complimentary part to the flute.

If this were intended for vocals, then maybe a lyric would suffice with complimentary parts placed more in the lower end.

A good reference for strong chords is:

Traité d'harmonie théorique et pratique (Dubois, Théodore)

https://imslp.org/wiki/Trait%C3%A9_d'harmonie_th%C3%A9orique_et_pra...

It is written in French but has many examples which can be easily understood.

Cheers.

Many thanks for this resource, which I shall have a look at. I am very grateful for specific recommendations or hints, indeed (even if they are in a different language...!).

Ali Riza SARAL said:

A good reference for strong chords is:

Traité d'harmonie théorique et pratique (Dubois, Théodore)

https://imslp.org/wiki/Trait%C3%A9_d'harmonie_th%C3%A9orique_et_pra...

It is written in French but has many examples which can be easily understood.

Cheers.

This suggestion on possible expansion is very helpful, and I shall have a think about this.

It is interesting, that I myself had no intention of a link to church or vocal music, but, actually, it would not be impossible.

Timothy Smith said:

I can imagine sitting in a  church and hearing something like this. As a suggestion to expand this, you could possibly make a second pass over the same lower wind part using the flute to play a more complex melody, a third pass might incorporate an oboe playing a complimentary part to the flute.

If this were intended for vocals, then maybe a lyric would suffice with complimentary parts placed more in the lower end.

It has a "Happy Birthday" rhythm. It could work very well in that context, if you also make some lyrics to it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service