Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

How to listen to music with focus without mind wandering?

I listen to a lot of music in my car, cellphone, iTunes, iPad and iPod etc. I listen to metal, 20th century pop, classical, jazz, and film music. I have the sincere desire to listen to a full length album and capture every detail with appreciation. My problem is that my mind wanders, while I'm listening. I'm barraged by information overload in school, I am worried about academics, preparing for the next music lesson, dreams, aspirations, etc. I want to appreciate the music that I listen to, but my mind wanders and it ends up missing the good stuff that I listen to.

Even while practicing, my mind wanders that I end up making mistakes while I play. From lectures in school to Sunday preaching, I could not take notes properly, because my mind wanders. Even while watching a movie, my mind is thinking of something else.

If you are curious about my thoughts, I mostly day dream of my future career, family, wife, and all that good stuff. Some stuff are private ex. girls, sex, wet dreams, etc. I can't avoid thinking about these things. Sometimes I would imagine a scene of a movie that I made up, but not Oscar worthy or potential blockbuster film. The scenes seem like a good idea at first, then I watch a real movie and it becomes embarrassing.

Do you guys have any tips for a guy that loves to day dream and the mind goes to a different world? I need help with focus and improving my attention span.

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please don't tell us about your private wet girl sex dreams.

Go for walks and listen to music as you do so. Or cut back on sugar.

Try meditating for short periods, then build it up slowly.

Maybe you are the perfect creative person. If your mind wasn't on the move, what good would it be to you.

What does your mind do while composing?

There is no substitute or short-cut. If you really want something, focus on it and force yourself to concentrate. It can take a while, but if it's really what you want, you can make it happen

Dave Dexter said:

Please don't tell us about your private wet girl sex dreams.

Go for walks and listen to music as you do so. Or cut back on sugar.

I consume a lot of sugar. If I cut back on sugar, how does it help with focus?

"I consume a lot of sugar. If I cut back on sugar, how does it help with focus?"

You need good blood sugar levels to be creative and focused (comments section, commence disagreeing) but too much will inhibit your ability to concentrate.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/neuronarrative/201204/what-eat...

Eat better, be more active, you'll probably find concentration easier.

Also, if you're listening to music during your time spent getting to other places, you're mentally relegating it to a transitional task. Instead of doing it because you have free time, make free time to do it. Listen to an album or symphony or whatever a day, at a point where that is the only task you set yourself. Doesn't have to be sitting inside. I've often gone for walks purely so I can listen to music, and incidentally often found myself in a creative mood on getting home.

too much sugar for a dime.

the freshest take on post modernism:

the great, Henry Threadgill - from the album "Too much sugar for a dime"  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jm-v6YlSTA

(paper toilet)

mmmm . . . . my attention span feels better already!

gregorio X said:

too much sugar for a dime.

the freshest take on post modernism:

the great, Henry Threadgill - from the album "Too much sugar for a dime"  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jm-v6YlSTA

(paper toilet)

Maybe try taking a very small section of a simple piece of music that you like-- maybe 15-30 seconds at most, that has only 2 (or 3) instruments--like a flute and clarinet duet, and listen to that for a few times, even slowed down, and focus ONLY on the sound. Dont have anything else playing, and try and hear each instrument separately, and then both together til that small piece of music fills your entire attention, and its only you and that music --NOTHING else to interfere.

And if your mind wanders just try again, and practice concentrating on it, and very gradually lengthening the piece, and number of instruments.

Look at this as a very special place for ONLY you and this simple piece of music to share, and no one or nothing else is allowed to interfere with this special moment--you simply WONT allow it..:)

Hope this helps, and all good luck with this!

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

+1 with Bobs' idea., as it just focuses on a simple task that doesn't seem too onerous and yet will be of maximal benefit.

In the same vein, perhaps you might want to try this. Find a nice ( or not so nice!) chord, maybe of 6 notes or so and resolve it say 5 -10 times in different ways. Give yourself a time limit, but don't spend longer than 15 mins on it  - the time limit might help focus your mind. Think hard on the resolution of each note, does it go up or down, do you change register completely, what about resolving one or more notes enharmonically - see where that leads to.

Jason, you really can't 'focus' on music when driving.

Your attention is already dedicated, or at least it should be.

Get a good set of head phones and a comfortable chair.

That is where you can relax and 'surrender' your attention to

focus on the music. ( 1 place anyway)   RS

Jason,

I'm still not sure that you have a problem. Some people can sit through 40 minutes of a Beethoven symphony, and some, like me, can't. I think it's a phase. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service