Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I am having a discussion with a few aspiring songwriters on Facebook.

They are of the opinion that the way to get noticed by a record company is to make a demo recording and offer it for their attention. According to these guys, the quality of the demo is not all that important because professionals working for the company can spot a really good song or band even if the demo is not too good.

However, I am arguing that possibly, times have changed. In a very competitive market place, record companies want a band who have already proved their worth online and are worth investing in. ie. they have built up a sizeable fan base and have had their tracks (already very high quality recordings) downloaded, maybe over a thousand times. They have proved their worth through social networking, and the record company see that the band or songwriter is worth investing in.

Who do you think is right? 

Do record companies still listen to demo CDs that are substandard on the basis of their musical potential? Can an artist be signed that way?

Or is that the old model of success?

Does anybody have any direct or personal experience to offer to this debate?

Views: 211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to send demos out back in the eighties when I used to write pop and rock. I would agree with the latter view. However the hardest thing is to have the right person even listen to your demo tape. They get thousands of demos by bands on their desks every year. Unusallt the artist or band they pick will be referred to them by the marfia and tell them you promote this one. Just listen to the crap on the radio, it shows that they dont listen to anything. If you want to get famous build up an audience then sell your demo at the gig, thats the only way nothing has changed in 30 years its still the same today. Or make a video and put it on u-tube then if you get 100,000 hits someone in the industry may prick up their ears, I did say MAY.

Just remember one thing nobody tells you. The music business is owned and run by the Kabal. Do your own homework on the Kabal and the media. Most stars are hand picked from a young age then sold to the devil so that they can perform like superhumans. Ask Madona, Katie Perry, Lady gaga, who they worship. its all on u-tube, research David Ike, Jim Marrs and Jordan Maxwell and learn about this matrix we are all living in run by the illuminati and the Kabaiists. All those cd's just get posted back with 'dont ring us we will ring you'.

I think one way is:

Choose the record company.  Go outside their offices.  Hold up a sign that says, "This music has not yet been recorded by this company."   Then play the music through small portable speakers (but sufficiently loud) through your iPad or other portable device.

A representative or employee of the record company is bound to notice it.

It depends.  

What are you trying to do?  Get signed and be a rockstar?  Sell songs you've written to be performed by a bigger artist on the label?  License the music?  Why do you need a label?  It's 2015,, there's not a lot an independent musician can't do on their own.  I played in a band that catered to a small niche style of music and between iTunes, Amazon, and CDBaby we made enough to cover the cost of the recording and buy beer.  That may not sound like much, but if you heard the album you'd probably be amazed it sold that many copies.  

With the quality of home recording equipment available today and the amount of knowledge about production available for free, there's no excuse to be sending out low quality demos.  It doesn't need to sound like it was recorded at AIR studios but don't send anyone an iPhone recording of your music.  Consider this, i'm in the process of setting up my own label rite now.  Nothing fancy, just a small deal mostly for my own bands and friends' bands to handle some publishing and distribution.  I'm not even officially up and running yet and i've already received unsolicited music from people.  People i don't even know, just found me thru Google or a heard from a cousin's friend's barber's dog walker that I had a record label.  If that's what i'm getting already, before even starting, imagine how much material gets sent to the established labels.  You want to give your music the best chance it can have to stand out.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service