Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I am a new member and have posted my first piece of music on my page: Andante #1 in Gm. Here is a SoundCloud Link.

This is first piece I am willing to share. I think it is a complete as a musical idea and I am happy with it. Now, I am at a point in my composing, in general, where, having found something I like, I am unsure how to proceed. How to find I elements within the theme that are amenable to development?

Score: Andante%20%231%20in%20Gm.pdf

General impressions are fine. I especially interested in how others might proceed if given the theme.

bp

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it has good bones but it feels very far from complete. There are a lot of instruments that are listed but not used. The piece is also very short and I feel like more could be added as I didnt get a sense of the musical world you were making in the time you gave us. 

Im not going to repeat what everyone else said about the trills. I will go into the odd sense of rhythm I get in this piece. Im all for mixed meters, frequent meter changes and alike but due to its infrequent use, they dont sound intentional. 

Like I said there are so good bones here to work off of but as it is right now it still needs work. 

Tyler Hughes said:

it has good bones but it feels very far from complete.

I don't know if it's complete or not. Of course, this begs the question, "A complete what?"

There are a lot of instruments that are listed but not used. The piece is also very short and I feel like more could be added as I didnt get a sense of the musical world you were making in the time you gave us. 

Sorry about that..lol. That's all there is right now. Actually, I spent about four hour on Friday trying to tease something from it that I could build on compositionally. Nothing was forthcoming...bah. Maybe, some night in a dream I will hear it.

I will go into the odd sense of rhythm I get in this piece. Im all for mixed meters, frequent meter changes and alike but due to its infrequent use, they dont sound intentional. 

That it doesn't sound intentional is not good. There are no meter changes, per se. However, the piece started as I was fooling around with 3/4 time and tried the figure:

As you can see, it's all 3/4 time. It does have an odd rhythmic sense, though. But, there was something about it that struck me..almost a sighing... It grew just from that. So it was all intentional.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Tyler.

bp

Nicholas Kelly said:

Hi Bruce - It's a good start,......... if you moved the flute in m. 12 down an octave and sustained the first violins in m. 18 a few extra measures to blend with the clarinet.

It's rewritten so that the flute entry is before the trill and the dynamic brought down a bit. I really want that flute harmonic there. It works much better.

Also, why the flat trill in the clarinet? 

This was a mistake.

I would like to hear more harmonic development in this piece.

Yes, I certainly get that. I spent about four hours last Friday on it...it was terrible...found nothing that worked for me. I think I am going to let it gestate for a while.

I also don't think it's necessary to be quite so precise with the dynamics...

I've been reading scores and detail in marking varies greatly becoming more and more "verbose" as composers conceptions changed from what would have been considered "common performance practice" of conductors at the time. I have no idea what is considered "common performance practice" today. I do know that my play back instrument, Notion and Miroslav Philharmonic, responds to a palette of dynamic markings that I can apply to get just as close to the sound I want as I possibly can. For an interesting study is try googling "conductor score marking". Some really cool stuff.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for listening and commenting.

bp

Hi Bruce,

I love it. Nice start, would like to hear the rest, too!

Erwin van Delft said:

Hi Bruce,

I love it. Nice start, would like to hear the rest, too!

Erwin,

Thank you so much! I'm not sure when there will be a "rest"...lol. Seriously, I've left the piece to germinate for a while. I'll come to it fresh sometime and maybe I'll find out how to expand it...or not!

Thanks again.

bp

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service