Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hey guys,

Just landed a video game score. The client says that the size limitations can not exceed 800kb for each piece of music...how do i do this with my huge samples???  Do i have to write super corny 8 bit midi music?  Or is there a fancy conversion software I can use to meet these requirements?

Your help is deeply appreciated!!

Jon

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

are you sure? I remember most of my mp3s being much larger, 3, maybe 4 mb minimum. In any case, what format were you using?

and where you trying to upload? your profile page, a post, a personal message?

I make music in the old tracking formats of .it .xm .mod. s3m and recently did a  tunes under 800kb. However then the samples need to be pretty small but it doesn't have to at all sound super corny. It's just a challenge to get good sounds out of small samples. My piece 'The Wingmakers Are Trackers' is, in its original format (.it), on 531 kb, and another piece I'm releasing soon is over six minutes and lies on about 600 kb, but after removing unused samples and possibly lowering the quality of some samples I could get it down even smaller if I wanted to.

It's not impossible, you just have to get away from mp3 and into midi or modules, though I'd recommend modules since midi is very limiting in my opinion.

Or maybe make one and a half minute songs and use 64kbps mp3s, hell I tried it now with a song and it actually works pretty good o_O

And hey, how did you land the game score?! I wanna do that too :'(

Ok most songs sound really crappy in 64kbps and even in 128 kbps, but that particular song I tried with sounded good in 64 kbps, probably because it was a four channel MOD

Carl Edlund aka Calle said:

I make music in the old tracking formats of .it .xm .mod. s3m and recently did a  tunes under 800kb. However then the samples need to be pretty small but it doesn't have to at all sound super corny. It's just a challenge to get good sounds out of small samples. My piece 'The Wingmakers Are Trackers' is, in its original format (.it), on 531 kb, and another piece I'm releasing soon is over six minutes and lies on about 600 kb, but after removing unused samples and possibly lowering the quality of some samples I could get it down even smaller if I wanted to.

It's not impossible, you just have to get away from mp3 and into midi or modules, though I'd recommend modules since midi is very limiting in my opinion.

Or maybe make one and a half minute songs and use 64kbps mp3s, hell I tried it now with a song and it actually works pretty good o_O

And hey, how did you land the game score?! I wanna do that too :'(

And check out 'Starshine' by purple motion. It's on 293 kb and is like the best song ever. Download Open MPT or any other tracker and you'll see how it's made.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service