Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi All,

Old time Logic user (since the Notator and Creator days), just had my PC Logic 5.5.1 system die and figured I might as well finally bite the bullet and get a Mac. BUT, I'm second guessing that decision. I could fix my PC and migrate to CuBase or FL Studio. So here are the pros and cons as I see them.

Pros:

1. Logic X will be able to load my existing files as native. There will be plenty of adjusting necessary (plug-ins, instruments, automation), but the basic music (midi data) will be there.

2. Logic X is an industry standard and represents incredible value for a modest investment.

3. Basic familiarity with the underlying structure should ease the learning curve a little.

Cons:

1. I'll have to buy a Mac, Macs are great systems, but they're not the most cost effective alternative.

2. The only plug-ins I'll have to start will be those that come with the software, all VST plug-ins will be unusable.

3. My complete unfamiliarity with the Mac universe.

In addition. I have a M-Audio Midisport 8x8 and their legacy drivers section does show drivers up to Mac OS 10.12. Am I screwed (need to get new midi interface) or is this workable with a new Mac? I know I'll need a new audio interface, I've had good luck with the Focusrite Scarlett series. I also use Midi over LAN CP3 to move midi data to a sample machine (PC) running Kontakt and some other stuff (Garritan CFX, Kirk Hunter Strings).

To start I anticipate most of the samples I'll use will be played on the existing PC. Also, in the PC world it was recommended to use a separate drive for audio, is that still the case in the Mac world or have machines gotten so fast disk issues are a thing of the past? Or should I just get a USB drive and back up my work? Will 8 GB of RAM be enough or should I just get 16 GB? It seems these days any hard drive has more than enough real estate for my needs, but I know solid state drives are way faster than disks.

Your thoughts please?

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

>Can the current version of Logic run on Mac OS 10.6.8?

I really dont know anything about Logic but found this:

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/specs/

Minimum System Requirements
  • 4GB of RAM
  • Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher
  • OS X 10.11 or later
  • Requires 64-bit Audio Units plug-ins
  • Minimum 6GB of disk space. 51GB of optional content available via in-app download.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP673?locale=en_US

Logic Pro 9 - Technical Specifications

Minimum System Requirements

• 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended).
  • Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher.
  • OS X v10.6.8 or later.
  • Minimum 6GB of disk space. (19GB of optional content available via in-app download).
  • Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Hi Steve,  Apple no longer supports OS X 10.6.8, which can be problem. Also, older hardware versions don't except OS X upgrades past a certain point so you'd have to check that too.

Steve Chandler said:

. It can be upgraded to Mac OS 10.12, but I'm not sure why that would be important other than it could run the current version of Logic. Can the current version of Logic run on Mac OS 10.6.8? That system weighs in at $1600, but that's a lot easier than what I've been looking at.

On the Logic Users Group I see the latest version of Logic Pro 10.3.2 requires Mac OS 10.11. Obviously the upgrade path of an older Mac is fairly limited, however that concerns me less (right now) because I know Logic Pro X will have a steep learning curve and substantially greater capability than Logic 5. It'll probably take me a few years to get fully acclimated to it and by that time I might be ready to upgrade to a then current Mac or I may be perfectly happy with it. I wasn't unhappy with Logic 5, but I was unable to get current plug-ins and the only upgrade path was to migrate to a Mac. Now that's simply necessary, so I'm saving my pennies, and in time will bite the bullet and do it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service