Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello everyone! I just joined the forums, and it seems like a fantastic place! In case you missed the title, name's Eric. I am a 20 year old university student at Southern California.

My Music History:

I played in my school's band all throughout 7-12th grade, and continue at my university. I originally played the French Horn, but then switched to Trumpet in 8th grade to play in the jazz band. Turns out that I ended up playing trumpet the rest of my school years. I began "writing" music as a joke when I was in 9th grade, but recently I got a lot more serious about it. Before I really got into writing music, I often transcribed video game music, good old 80's music, and other into sheet music. I still often transcribe, but I have been trying to enter the composition area much more. Sometimes I transcribe the songs for a brass quintet.

My approach to writing is very casual, and I just write out what I think sounds good. I typically enjoy writing music for a concert band (high school instrumentation), or for brass quintets. I haven't fully tried writing full orchestra pieces but I will definitely experiment with that soon!

Also, forgot to mention, I took no courses or anything in music writing, music theory, etc. I guess I "self-taught" on how to write music. 

Alright enough of this chit-chat, let's get to the good stuff

I have recently finished my best work so far. Titled "Castle Grounds", a moderately paced piece for concert band. Audio is on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/musicnerdmidi/castle-grounds

I technically started working on it 2 years ago, but left it untouched for over a year. I got back into finishing it for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

There are also some other works on my SoundCloud, feel free to check them out!

Here is my YouTube channel as well 

https://www.youtube.com/MusicNerdMIDI

I have a lot of other goodies posted there including transcriptions and arrangements.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope to contribute to this community! 

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Eric! We hope you enjoy your stay!

Gav

HI Eric.

Quite amazing that you are self taught. Well done.

I listened to Castle Grounds and found it an enjoyable piece with good orchestration and a nice structure about it.

Best wishes to you and your family and keep up the great work.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service